3Disciplines
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m
Overall Rank = 77/151
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/21
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:30 and got the truck loaded. Had breakfast (two pieces of peanut butter toast and small bold of oatmeal). Headed out around 6:15 had some some water and cup of coffee on the way. Got to venue around 7:15, got registered, and just sat in the truck trying to stay warm until about 7:50. Mingled for a little bit, before warming up.
Event warmup:

Went for an easy two mile ride to see how bad the winds were (they were bad). Did about 10 minutes of very slow running followed by some stretching. After that, just walked around trying to stay warm/loose.
Run
  • 25m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Solid run, was a little bit fast in the first mile (about 7:45), but settled down into a nice pace for the rest of the run.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, my plan was to run the first 5k between 25:30 and 26:00. Executed the plan, maintaining a pretty consistent pace.
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Smooth transition. I don't use clipless pedals so I just have to slap on the helmet, get the bike, and go. Had a much easier time getting the helmet this time.
Bike
  • 38m 27s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

When I passed three people in the first mile, I knew this was going to be a good ride (I am not usually the one doing the passing). There must have been some first timers out there, because a guy drafted me all the way through the first metro park. I dropped him as we exited onto the road (he slowed down to corner, I didn't--even passed another rider on the corner). As we entered the second metro park, I went to pass someone else and he actually blocked me--everytime I moved left, he moved left to block. I asked him, somewhat politely, to stay to the right and he would not. Finally, had to swing out completely into the other lane to get around him. The ride out of that metro park was brutal--major headwinds. Just tried to stay in the drops maintaining a high cadence. Cramped up a little when entering the home stretch, dropped down a few gears and tried to pick up the cadence to work through it.

In retrospect, I was pretty fried on the second run, so I shouldn't have pushed so hard on the bike, but it felt pretty darn awesome to have a ride that good.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Another smooth transition. Did my version of a dismount (it looks like a controlled crash, but it helps me avoid leg cramps). Good run to the rack. Walked out of transition so I could grab two cups of water, then started the run.
Run
  • 27m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs we're fried at the begining of the run. Chatted with a guy in my age group for the first half mile, when he picked up the pace I could not respond. I think most of the people that I passed on the bike re-passed me within the first mile of that run. Cardiovascular was fine, just could not get the legs to move any faster. Grabbed some water at half-way aid station and my legs finally loosened up. I think only two more people got around me in the second half of that run. Got motivated by the music and the crowds and picked it up in the last half mile.

Nothing on the run. I think the problems occured on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my wife, and then walked around for a bit. Chatted with Matt, the guy that I ran the first half mile with, for awhile. Got some gatorade and piece of pizza and then just layed in the sun with Brandy, cheering on the other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The second run. I had the endurace to go faster but the legs wouldn't respond. Need to do more BRICKS or push harder on the BRICKS that I already do.

Event comments:

This race was awesome. Lots of volunteers and very organized. With the exception of one section of the bike being a little bumpy a great course. If my schedule allows it, I'll definately be back.

Last updated: 2006-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:53 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 91/151
Performance: Good
Average heartrate: 176
Course: Flat course through the metro park. Mainly paved roads but a little bit of trail as well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:38:27 | 12.4 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/21
Overall: 59/151
Performance:
Average heartrate: 181
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back loop through two metro parks. Extrelemly windy, the road in one of the metro parks was a little rough (including a set of train tracks); but no worse than what I ride on back home.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:40 | 03.11 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 112/151
Performance: Below average
Average heartrate: 183
Course: Same course as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-09 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Willow Duathlon

2006-05-13 5:44 AM
in reply to: #418655

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
Subject: RE: Willow Duathlon
Congrats on a great race and duathlon PR!!!  All that training from the challenges is beginning to pay off. Keep up the good work, you will be in that oly tri soon.
2006-05-13 6:44 AM
in reply to: #418655

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Willow Duathlon
Awesome race, Craig...way to lay down a plan, execute it, and enjoy the spoils of a new PR.  Most excellent!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Willow Duathlon Rss Feed