General Discussion Race Reports! » Tartan Trot (5k, 10k, 1Mile Fun Run & Tot Trot) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tartan Trot (5k, 10k, 1Mile Fun Run & Tot Trot) - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dunwoody, Georgia
United States
St Luke's Presbyterian Church & Mission Miles
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 44h 46m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Rode bike 10 miles to the start, easy pace. Arrived early, an hour before start, to register then relax and stretch. No drama.
Event warmup:

Jogged easy for 10 minutes. It was cold, 40F, but I decided at the last minute not to wear my warm-up pants. Glad I did, I got hot on the run. I was able to remove my gloves, and head band, and unzip my jacket and I got comfortable.
Run
  • 44m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My mile splits were 6:31, 6:37, 7:34, 7:47, 7:26, 7:00. As stated above, first 2 were downhill, 3 medium hill, 4 killer hill, 5 medium hill, 6 flattened out.

I found out afterward I finished 20 seconds behind first in my age group. Arrgh. If I'd known that at mile 6, I would have run him down! Well, if I believe that, then I guess I didn't push it 100%. My heart rate was near peak the last 4 minutes, so perhaps I was at 100%. Probably he got ahead of me on one of the uphill miles.
What would you do differently?:

Include more long uphill running in my training. The hills on this course were longer and steeper than my usual rolling hills training routes.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode my bike home, 40 minutes, after the race.

Event comments:

This is a very well organized event. They have lots of good food afterward. Age group winners get a trophy and their pick from dozens of baked goods. After all the awards, they still had some cakes and pies, so they started giving them away..."if today was your first 10k, come get a pie", "if today you ran a PR, come get a pie", "if you came from out of town to our race, come get a pie", etc. So all of the few people who were still around at the end of the awards took home a prize! To the patient go the spoils.

Last updated: 2012-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:46 | 06.21 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I was using this race as a field test of functional anaerobic threshold. My peak 20 minutes heart rate was 173. This occurred during the second half of the race, which I think was perfect. From a testing point of view, I had 20 minutes warm-up, then 20 minutes of slightly higher effort.
Course: The first 2 miles of the course were downhill. There was a medium hill in mile 3, a long killer hill in mile 4, and another medium hill in mile 5. So my peak effort was while running uphill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-01-28 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tartan Trot (5k, 10k, 1Mile Fun Run & Tot Trot)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tartan Trot (5k, 10k, 1Mile Fun Run & Tot Trot) Rss Feed