Valley Spokesman
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 39m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The alarm went off at 6am. I snoozed til 6:20. I saw brightness coming from the window and prayed that it was sun. But alas, it was just grayness. Not raining, and few clouds, so I still held out hope for a quasi sunny day. I had some eggs, toast and coffee quietly in the dark. I had some friends in town for a wedding and I was trying not to wake them ;). It's hard to see when you're eggs are done when it is dark.

I went and picked up Pattie and we headed out. We got a little bit of a late start, but we got there around 8:45. I was feeling stressed and nervous about riding that far in the rain, but Pattie tried to keep me positive ;).

Event warmup:

Uh...the first part of the ride?
Bike
  • 5h 39m
  • 66.06 miles
  • 11.69 mile/hr
Comments:

So we picked up our numbers, our pink bracelets, and then headed out for the ride. Here are Pattie and I just before taking off. Off we went! It was cold, and windy, but not too bad at the beginning. I still felt like this had the potential to be the worst ride ever, but again, I had hope that God could turn the day around. The first leg of the ride went pretty smoothly. Not much rain, and the sun even started to peak out.

By the time we got to the first rest stop at about 20 some miles, the clouds looked more white and fluffy and we saw sun! It was beautiful. I was so thankful for the change. We grabbed some newtons, animal crackers, oranges (which were sooo delicious), and some lemonade. We took a potty break and took some pictures before we headed out.

Soon after the first rest stop, we headed out of town and into the rolling hills of the east bay. I was so looking forward to taking pictures of the beautiful green hills with bright blue sky, like we had seen the weekend before. I was really worried I wouldn't get to show you all any of that if it rained. But the sun was out. Little did I know it was short lived. So we hit the hills. This is a pretty flat course, but there were a few hills that are small, but LONG! But by the time we hit them, we were warmed up and went much faster up them, then we had when we tried the week before. So yay! At the top of one of the hills I stopped to take a pictures of some windmills. But I nearly DIED coming down that hill. It was steep, but there were hugs gusts of wind, and I honestly thought I was going down on that hill. After I realized I wasn't dead, I stopped at the bottom and took some more pictures of he the hills.

Around mile 37 or so something, we had lunch. The weather was still pretty good, but after stopping for a while and eating we were very cold. So we layered up. I called Wes to give him a better estimate of when we would finish, but he was already at the finish line! Poor guy, and a long time to wait ahead of him.

Just as we were about to leave the lunch stop, the clouds rolled in...and the wind. We headed back out of town into the hills again, but this time with TONS of wind in our face, and rain pelting us. I thought it was hailing! But we pushed ahead. Pattie had some gear problems due to the fact she was riding a demo bike, but we kept on going. The wind only let up a little after we turned some corners, but eventually it would come back around another corner. On the flats without wind we tried to keep it at at least 15mph if not higher...but for that wind we were often around 7 or 8. It was big wind! There were some women on the side of the road playing music and dancing by their truck...and cheering of course. But in the middle of that, I was NOT thankful for their cheers...all I could think was why the heck weren't THEY out here on their bikes. If we can do it...THEY can do it. (I usually take cheering with more appreciation, but let's face it...it was a rough ride.)

We toughed it out til the last rest stop..at about 50 miles. That was the end of the hills. We got some more snacks and one more potty break. MAN our butts were sore. Our quads were aching from all that high tension for the last hour or so. We were not the happiest, we were cold and wet, but we kept on going.

The last leg was flat, and the sun peeked out again. But I was watching that odometer. I didn't feel as horrible as I thought I would. I was tired, but not exhausted...but after about 5 hours, I think I was ready to get of my bicycle. Another 40 min later and we rolled back to the start line, and Wes was waiting. I got off my bike, and gave it to him...he asked how I was. I said..."I don't want to ride my bicycle any more...you take it." He laughed and gladly took it from me.

Pattie went to return her demo bike, and Wes and I headed inside to get some hot soup that was waiting. Boy did that hit the spot! Also pictures were waiting from the course. Here's mine. That was before the 20 mile mark, so I was definitely in good spirits. :).

All in all, I think it was a good ride. The wind and the rain made it a HECK of a lot harder than I think it needed to be...but we did it! I got my pics of the rolling hills, I rode up them, and pushed against the wind to ride down them, but we did it. I'm a Cinderella! Don't ask me if I'll do it again next year. I'll get back to you on that one. All I have to say is...next weekend...I'm going to a Wildflower training weekend...and GUESS how far I have to ride? 25 miles! Whooo hooo!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Eating soup.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE WEATHER!!!

Event comments:

Very good staffing, highly recommended. Souvenir jersey's are too expensive though...

Last updated: 2006-03-26 12:00 AM
Biking
05:39:00 | 66.06 miles | 11.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A couple not steep, but long hills. Tough in the wind.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right