General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So is starvation mode real or not? Caloric intake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-06 6:42 AM

New user
Bratislava
Subject: So is starvation mode real or not? Caloric intake

I have done some research on the internet regarding starvation mode recently but I actually can not find satisfactory answer as there are articles saying it is myth and articles saying it is truth. 

So is starvation mode real or not?

Currently I eat 2000kcal a day (about 95g proteins/270g carbs/60g fat) trying to lose weight. My BRM is about 2100 kcal. Last maybe two weeks I started to count calories burned during workout (25kcal/100m for swim, 0,75 x weight (pounds) x distance(miles) for run and 0,25 x weight (pounds) x distance(miles) for bike) (have been training for 7 months, but did not count burned calories before). These formulas showed me, that I often burn more than 1000 kcal training on particular day (yesterday it was 2000 - 1hour of run and 1:30 of bike).

Basicaly I have hard time to lose any weight in maybe last 2 months  and I start to think if there is any truth regarding starvation mode.

Is there anybody who really knows the truth about starvation mode and/or reason why I can not lose any weight (have lost 12kg before it stopped).

I just want to add that I eat 5 times a day and I do not feel hungry eating just 2000 kcal, actually I feel quite allright.

thanks

2012-02-06 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4031134

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: RE: So is starvation mode real or not? Caloric intake
The facts that you're not hungry and you're not losing weight on 2000kcal/day likely means your metabolism has shifted so that your energy needs are 2000kcal/day. To lose more weight you need to eat less, burn more, or do both.

There's no such thing as starvation mode. Your body can't violate the laws of physics, and there are no obese people in starvation camps...
2012-02-06 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4031159

New user
Bratislava
Thanx for your input, but I am not sure about that "energy needs" thing. My basal metabolic rate is about 2100kcal (6 feet tall, 220 pounds). I eat 2000. I burn every day from lets say 750 to 2000 kcal training. That leaves me with 1250 to 0 kcal for my body functions. If deficit of 3500kcal per weak results in losing 1 pound I should be losing at least 2 pounds a week. I havent lost anything in 2 months.    
2012-02-06 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Hate to say it but you're eating more then you think you are.
I had the same thing and a few friends that are doctors said that there had to be something wrong. I was eating (I thought) around 2500 a day and running 50+ miles a week. But I was not losing anything. I went in for a checkup had blood work done and everything came back fine. My doctor (who is a sports med doc) just flat out said "you need to eat less". I started trying to eat less and I started losing weight.
Try eating really simple foods that are easy to measure for a few weeks and log the food. Stay away form anything that you need to guess how much is there or what's in it.
A full checkup may not be a bad thing just to make sure there is nothing medical wrong too.
2012-02-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4031175

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
"If deficit of 3500kcal per weak results in losing 1 pound I should be losing at least 2 pounds a week."

Yes. IF you have that deficit, you should be losing weight. However, based on the fact you are not losing weight, you do not have that deficit.

You need to burn more or eat less. Looking at your training log, the amount of calories you say you burn during a workout seems very, very high. You're likely burning far fewer calories than you think you are. Combine that with underestimating the calories you consume (Do you use measuring cups, measuring spoons, a scale?), you can easily not be losing weight.
2012-02-06 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
If you are eating 2000+ calories daily, you are not in starvation mode.

2012-02-06 2:28 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
mr_kaktus - 2012-02-06 6:42 AM

I have done some research on the internet regarding starvation mode recently but I actually can not find satisfactory answer as there are articles saying it is myth and articles saying it is truth. 

Currently I eat 2000kcal a day (about 95g proteins/270g carbs/60g fat) trying to lose weight. My BRM is about 2100 kcal. Last maybe two weeks I started to count calories burned during workout (25kcal/100m for swim, 0,75 x weight (pounds) x distance(miles) for run and 0,25 x weight (pounds) x distance(miles) for bike) (have been training for 7 months, but did not count burned calories before). These formulas showed me, that I often burn more than 1000 kcal training on particular day (yesterday it was 2000 - 1hour of run and 1:30 of bike).

Basicaly I have hard time to lose any weight in maybe last 2 months  and I start to think if there is any truth regarding starvation mode.

Is there anybody who really knows the truth about starvation mode and/or reason why I can not lose any weight (have lost 12kg before it stopped).

I just want to add that I eat 5 times a day and I do not feel hungry eating just 2000 kcal, actually I feel quite allright.

thanks

My 2 cents based on all the weight I lost. If you are trying to loose weight. You are eating too many carbs and not enough protein. 270 seems like an awful lot for someone attempting to loose weight. I would balance those up.

Carbs convert to sugar convert to fat stored in most people and everyone I have helped loose weight.

Try playing around with those.

2012-02-06 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I think this is pretty much an individual thing and there is no "one fits all" answer.

I was at the same place as you for years and did not loose much weight and was always careful to eat enough so not to put my body into starvation mode...well but it did not help with weight-loss even though I produced a constant deficit.

I got myself a personal trainer in October and he told me to shock my metabolism and go on around 1000 calories a day! I laughed straight in his face and said it would be impossible and that it would not help either as my body would go in starvation mode right away. He told me to try it and I did.

Since then I have lost over 30lbs and it seems to be the only way working for me. I have since increased training again and now my daily average is around 1200 and that gives me an average 2lbs loss a week even though according to my calorie deficit I should loose about 4lbs a week. I guess my body is just not the norm and my metabolism pretty screwed up!

Since then I have thrown every theory about starvation mode out of the window. Key factor for me for trying this out was actually the Biggest Loser show as they have the contestants under 1500 calories a day while working out 6 hours or more and I never understood how that would work with the evil "starvation mode".

It works for me right now so I will keep this going a little while longer.

The first week was tough while the body needed to get used to the low calories but it gets easier and now I don't even think about it anymore.

Oh and I should mention that I eat very clean and absolutely NO empty calories to make sure that my body gets all the nutrition, carbs, healthy fats and protein it needs!

Trying it out is the only way to find out....

2012-02-10 6:38 AM

New user
Bratislava

just to close this debate in some way maybe the shocking of my body was the way to go. as my training got harder than it had been before (I started to prepare systematically for 1/2 marathon and HIM) I started to lose weight again and since I have written my question I have dropped about 5 pounds - eating still 2000 kcal approximately

2012-02-10 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4032279

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Techdiver - 2012-02-06 2:28 PM

mr_kaktus - 2012-02-06 6:42 AM

thanks

My 2 cents based on all the weight I lost. If you are trying to loose weight. You are eating too many carbs and not enough protein. 270 seems like an awful lot for someone attempting to loose weight. I would balance those up.

Carbs convert to sugar convert to fat stored in most people and everyone I have helped loose weight.

Try playing around with those.

You cannot simply put all CHO together in one group. The type of carbohydrate is important. I am losing weight on a 75% CHO diet, but I don't eat very much grain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So is starvation mode real or not? Caloric intake Rss Feed