General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, South Park it is. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-06 6:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
Subject: So, South Park it is.

After 6 months of my husbands company waffling about just which area he'd be moving to, they decided on Washington and we have found a house to lease in South Park.  Anyone familiar with the area? Pools? Cycling routes?  I discovered the Montour trail (good things happen when one gets lost) and they say there are some paths and trails in South Park for me to discover.  And coming from the Piney Hills of Louisiana, I am investing in a compact crank.  Surprised  any help is appreciated.  

k

2012-02-06 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4032755

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: So, South Park it is.
I've never been there but I hear there are friendly faces everywhere, humble folks without temptation. Ample parking day or night seems like a plus too.
2012-02-07 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4032891

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Apparently Pittsburgh triathlon club is very active and robust.   I had a buddy do one of their swim clinics.  Not sure if Pitt is within striking distance of Washington, PA.
2012-02-08 7:22 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
South Park....so are you close to the actual South Park (the county park)?

If so, in the summertime you'll be able to use the pool (don't know about their lap swimming sessions, but there's also the South Hills YMCA pool that's open for the summer and I know for sure they have lap times.) That's in the Upper St Clair area.

I also think there might be community rec at the high school some evenings, but don't quote me on that.

South Park is great for running and recreation in general. My brother and sister in law live in that area and love it. It works well for them because of where they work and the schools are excellent. When my husband and I dog-sit, however, it is not that great for us since we both work in town. The commute blows (unless you take the T, which is getting expensive for what it is).

Also: Bethel Bakery. Know it and love it.
2012-02-09 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4036903

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

phoenixazul - 2012-02-08 7:22 PM South Park....so are you close to the actual South Park (the county park)? If so, in the summertime you'll be able to use the pool (don't know about their lap swimming sessions, but there's also the South Hills YMCA pool that's open for the summer and I know for sure they have lap times.) That's in the Upper St Clair area. I also think there might be community rec at the high school some evenings, but don't quote me on that. South Park is great for running and recreation in general. My brother and sister in law live in that area and love it. It works well for them because of where they work and the schools are excellent. When my husband and I dog-sit, however, it is not that great for us since we both work in town. The commute blows (unless you take the T, which is getting expensive for what it is). Also: Bethel Bakery. Know it and love it.

Thanks for this info!  I am pretty close to in the park, right near the high school.  I never thought about them having a pool and they do!  I can walk up the hill to it.  They don't have loads of lap times available, but then again, I don't swim often.  Tongue out   I won't have to worry about commuting as I work out of the house, but there is a T stop nearby.  

2012-02-14 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4032891

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

TheClaaaw - 2012-02-06 9:43 PM I've never been there but I hear there are friendly faces everywhere, humble folks without temptation. Ample parking day or night seems like a plus too.

People shouting Howdy Neighbor.....

2012-02-22 6:58 AM

User image

Pittsburgh

I live in that area....(South Hills) of Pittsburgh.  I sometimes workout at South Park as it's a pretty big open space and cars have to go slow in the park.  The police also patrol it a lot so traffic is slow.

I prefer the rails to trails in the area.  Many of them are paved which is great for road bikes, but sometimes the trails get crowded with all sorts.  My favorite rail to trail is the Eliza Furnace Trail also known as the Jail Trail.  It is not much to look at, runs next to the parkway, but it has nice large turn around areas at both ends, is about 5 miles round trip.

Here is a website that shows the local trails:

http://www.probikesllc.com/trails.html

I hope this helps.

2012-02-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4059890

New user
Another nice thing about the jail trail is it connects to a trail on the south side that is about the same length if you want to go on a longer ride and want a change or scenery. 
2012-02-28 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4070888

User image

Pittsburgh

dvilliotti - 2012-02-28 2:08 PM Another nice thing about the jail trail is it connects to a trail on the south side that is about the same length if you want to go on a longer ride and want a change or scenery. 

Good point..... I never tried biking across the bridge and down the UPMC side.  Sadly the UPMC side is only 2 miles long and stops with a big fence and a construction area.

2012-06-01 5:43 PM

User image

Pittsburgh, PA
I second the recommendation about the Pittsburgh Tri Club.

One thing you'll quickly learn about the South Hills is that the roads are narrow and full of traffic. I don't have the guts to ride from my house to South Park (it is only 5.8 miles...and it is a 35 minute drive IN THE CAR if I am lucky). So, hitting the Montour Run trail or South Park is the best bet for biking in the area. I ride up and down Corrigan Drive in South Park frequently (I ride on the road because the walking paths are crowded) and never have any issues. You can take any of the side roads and get some decent hill work in. You can also ride the Montour Trail to the Panhandle trail...which I have heard has some good riding as well. I would definitely recommend riding your mountain bike if you are going too far past Bethel or Peters as the trail gets pretty rough.

Welcome to the 'burg...and the South! :-) (We Pittsburghers are pretty weird-- we don't cross the rivers unless we have to. I grew up in the East and I think I am persona-non-grata there now that I live in the South.)

Edited by trobs007 2012-06-01 5:44 PM
2012-06-06 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4240056

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

trobs007 - 2012-06-01 5:43 PM I second the recommendation about the Pittsburgh Tri Club. One thing you'll quickly learn about the South Hills is that the roads are narrow and full of traffic. I don't have the guts to ride from my house to South Park (it is only 5.8 miles...and it is a 35 minute drive IN THE CAR if I am lucky). So, hitting the Montour Run trail or South Park is the best bet for biking in the area. I ride up and down Corrigan Drive in South Park frequently (I ride on the road because the walking paths are crowded) and never have any issues. You can take any of the side roads and get some decent hill work in. You can also ride the Montour Trail to the Panhandle trail...which I have heard has some good riding as well. I would definitely recommend riding your mountain bike if you are going too far past Bethel or Peters as the trail gets pretty rough. Welcome to the 'burg...and the South! :-) (We Pittsburghers are pretty weird-- we don't cross the rivers unless we have to. I grew up in the East and I think I am persona-non-grata there now that I live in the South.) [/QUOTE

I hear you on the traffic - it blows!  I have done some riding around the park and it's ok, just not long enough and loops drive me loopy.  Montour isn't really an option as I don't have my cross bike with me.  I have found a loop that goes through the park and another that goes down Piney Fork and by the trail that is about 24 miles (and has some flat even).  I guess I'll be doing that in loops to get in my longer rides.  Not sure I'll ever get used to my sad average speeds due to the hills though.    I'm going to look into joining the tri club.  I gather the closest spot to swim is Dormont?  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, South Park it is. Rss Feed