General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA McDowell Mountain Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA McDowell Mountain Trail Run - Run15 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fountain Hills, Arizona
United States
XTERRA
Total Time = 1h 56m 37s
Overall Rank = 23/81
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

Fairly local race for me but as I wasn't able to make packet pick up I needed to head out a bit early to get it sorted. The reasons for not making packet pick up will remain a secret. Headed out the door around 6:30am and arrived by 7am.
Event warmup:

Grabbed my packet, spotted bryancd (good to finally meet you!) and waited for a few other friends to show up.
Run
  • 1h 56m 37s
  • 15 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2012-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:37 | 15 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 23/81
Performance:
Course: Nothing big to really note. I felt good at the gun and sort of rolled into it amongst a pack of about 8 other people. First couple of miles were a gradual descent and I settled into a pace that felt good and relaxed, knowing there was some climbing ahead. Actually, I'd only ran this course once, two weeks prior during a training run and I'm glad I did. It really helped me know what lie ahead, where I could let it go a bit and where to conserve. However, I probably still went a bit hard on the climb to Dixie Mine as I was starting to feel a bit gassed on the next climb around Pemberton Pond. At this point I was pretty much running alone until I caught a guy that really slowed on that climb and then we partnered up for the next few miles. By his own admission he was hurting from flu recovery and after a couple miles I dropped him. Now I was completely alone and it was starting to get a bit boring around mile 9 until I heard footsteps behind me. I knew I could pick it up a bit and probably keep him behind me so I did just that and he stuck to my heels the entire way in, which is how we finished. It was nice having something around me on the final push, definitely helped to cut the boredom.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?