Fort Wayne Track Club
22F / -6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 01m
Overall Rank = 66/262
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

This was an afternoon race, so my preparation was much different than usual. I got up early, fed the kids, cleaned the house, and made dinner in the crockpot for later. I had a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch around 10am and then went grocery shopping at noon before heading over to the race. I had my usual 1 bite of banana and a couple of sips of powerade.
For this race, I decided to stick with running tights and a long-sleeved workout shirt. I debated wearing my sweatshirt because I was so cold but decided against it. I'm glad I made that decision.
My cold has been lingering on for 3 weeks. It has improved with the antibiotics, but I still have a cough and am not sleeping well. I knew that this wouldn't be my best race, but I really wanted to stick to my resolution of 1 race a month this year.

Event warmup:

Starting around 1:15, I ran a few short warm-up runs ranging from about .25-.6 miles and then quickly got back into the car. At about 1:50, I headed for the start line and did some light stretching there (but mostly just jumping around to stay a little warm).
Run
  • 24m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt strong for the first two miles. I struggled through the third mile, especially in the last 1/2 mile where we got to a straight-away going into the cold wind.
http://www.runindiana.com/FannyAge12.html
What would you do differently?:

I definitely went out too fast again. My first two miles felt great, but I didn't leave enough energy for the last mile. I had a nice kick at the end when I saw my husband and kids cheering for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the car. That's it! It was too cold to do much else. I met Dirk after the race, and we talked for a few minutes until more than just our fannies were freezing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This darn cold/cough. It is still lingering around. Most people who I have talked to said it took them about a month to get rid of, so I figure I still have another week.

Event comments:

For $5 and a no frills advertisement, this is about what I expected. However, I was shocked that they didn't have any restrooms available. They were all locked up. That didn't really help my cause at all!

Last updated: 2012-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:01 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 66/262
Performance: Average
Average heart rate: 177bpm Max heart rate: 206bpm
Course: The course was a double loop around the golf course. It was almost all flat, just one small hill. The path had a little bit of snow left behind by the plow- in the center where it was starting to melt away it was very icy. I tried to stay near the sides after I discovered this.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-02-11 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: Fanny Freezer 5K

2012-02-11 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4042191

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Fanny Freezer 5K

Nice race!  24:00 is a pretty solid race in my opinion.  I think, as you said at the race, that after 5 months after having a baby you did remarkably well. 

As far as those slick spots, I was lucky enough to have planned on having and using my "ice cleats" and they came in very handy.  The snow on the back of the loop was more of an issue than the ice.

Also, you have an amazing family.  It was great to have met you all.

2012-02-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4042301

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN

Thanks, Dirk!  It was nice meeting you too. 

Gosh, I know you said you were hoping to run faster, but I think your time was really impressive (especially considering that the conditions weren't ideal).  I would bet that as soon as the snow clears up, you will be dropping a lot of time. 

2012-02-12 8:14 AM

User image

Cinnamon Toast Crunch! That made me laugh. I bought 4 boxes the other day because that's my son's fav cereal.

Great job on dropping some time, Allison! Are you very far off from your PR? Hopefully you walked away from this race feeling positive about knocking som more time off. I'm impressed! You'll keep getting stronger and faster especially once you get the sickness out of your system. I love that your hubby and kids cheer you on even in the fridged temps. Very sweet.
2012-02-12 12:19 PM

User image

NH
Wow Allison, that's a tremendous time 5 months post baby and recovering from a bit of a cough and cold.  Looks like you are absolutely on track for some serious times as the spring comes.  Great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fanny Freezer 5K Rss Feed