Fort Wayne Track Club
21F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 58s
Overall Rank = 18/262
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

No routine today. The race was later in the day to have any kind of routine.
Event warmup:

I jogged to the registration area and back to my truck to put my keys away and strip off the extra clothing I used to stay warm while registering. Once the bib and chip were on my shoe and shirt I ran back to the start area and past the finish area to get my blood moving.
The timing of the WU was about the best I have had but I would like to have had a little more time. I no sooner got back to the start area than we were lining up to start. I would like to have had time to get my HR up a little higher.
Run
  • 19m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I was struggling all day trying to decide how to approach this race. I definitely wanted a PR but I also thought of trying to run this race at a "blow up" pace to see what I could do if I went all out start to finish. As I started the race I thought I would try to go with this approach but once I encountered some of the ice and snow on the course I just decided to race smartly.
The first .25 miles was kind of congested and I was stuck behind a group of people that frustrated me. They were all packed up and and surrounding me. I tried to stay patient for a minute but could no longer take it. I pressed through them and broke the crowd up as I went through. Once I busted everyone up they splintered and everyone seemed to have more room and moved more freely.
By the first mile I could tell I was going to have a tough time going for the other 2+ miles. My breathing was pretty rapid already but under control. I tried to keep somewhat of an eye on my watch over to determine what I might be able to do for the remainder of the race but I don't have the new watch set up correctly yet.
The end of the first loop set my mind a little better because I knew I didn't have much longer to suffer. Despite this I allowed the mental part of the race to take me over a little too much. I allowed myself to slow down but not to anything like a relaxing pace. It was just enough to for me to think I wouldn't collapse before finishing. I wish I had kept my pace stronger and suffered some more.
By the beginning of the second mile and the rest of the race my breathing was much more labored and harder to control. I wasn't sure I was going to have much left to kick to the finish once I got close enough.
I had been trying to stay with a couple of guys that I had been hanging with for almost all of the race. One of them began to pull away from me at about 2 miles but I kept him close. The other was behind me at 2 miles but close. The second passed me soon after that mile marker but I stayed very close top him.
The last .5 mile I was about 2 steps behind the second man and I had been losing distance slowly to the first one. I very slowly increased my pace and kept pace with both of them. About .25 left I picked up the pace just a little more and passed the second guy but I was no where near "dusting" him. He stayed fairly close. With about .10 left I kicked what ever I could the rest of the race but I wasn't able to catch the first guy. About the same time I turned my pace up to high gear he did the same. Until this point I had been gaining on him but once he turned it up I couldn't catch him. He wasn't able to pull away any further but I was definitely unable to catch him.
Also in the last .10 miles I looked at the clock and saw it nearing 20 minutes. I determined I WAS NOT going to finish at or over 20 minutes...............I barely made it......according to Garmin. We'll wait to see the official results.
What would you do differently?:

I would have tried to stay a little more mentally tough at the beginning of the second loop. I allowed myself to relax in what I call a "suffering race."
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing I began a coughing frenzy due to the cold or whatever I have been dealing with this week. Once I was able to stop, I jogged back toward the cars.
This is where I met Ryan and Allison. We spoke for a few minutes but after beginning to develop icicles on my nose we opted for warmer temps in our cars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental toughness mostly. There were some contributions from the snow and ice that slowed me down some but I think lack of focus was more the issue. The conditions would have been there no matter what.

Event comments:

Last year it took me forever to find the official results. Hopefully this year will be much faster.
The race started almost exactly on time. My watch had the gun going off at 2:01. I think they doi a very good job of keeping people moving in the registration line and getting things moving toward the start and starting on time.
Results: http://www.fwtc.org/2011-fanny-freezer-5k.html

Last updated: 2012-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:58 | 03.11 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 18/262
Performance: Average
Mile 1 - 6:20 HR avg. 164/171 Mile 2 - 6:33 HR avg. 166/172 Mile 3 - 6:23 HR avg. 167/172 Last .12 - 5:37 HR avg. 170/172
Course: The race was a 2 loop course around Shoaff Park. The snow from overnight made the course slick in spots. Over the back two thirds of each loop there was up to an inch of snow in spots and there were places where pushing off was difficult. There was one hill that was short in length but slick with snow and ice. Most of the course would be described as flat but it did have a couple of longer elevation increases.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-11 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Fanny Freezer

2012-02-11 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4042238

User image

Subject: RE: Fanny Freezer
Congrats on finishing below 20 minutes for your old mans AG. Seriously, though, really impressive time Dirk, even more so with the cold and snow! I'm glad you got to meet Allison and Ryan. Hopefully you'll be able to find the results on line soon. Thanks for the race report. You write them well and detailed - they're enjoyable to read.
2012-02-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4042389

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
19:58 and you didn't suffer enough? Nice race, its always fun when you have a couple of competitors pushing you to the finish!
2012-02-12 12:17 PM

User image

NH
This sounded like a good effort despite your wanting to push harder.  I would say that having a few people in front and behind to compete with pushed you harder than you think.  Those conditions sounded like it cost you some time, but since everyone was in the same conditions and you were AG winner, no way you can't say this is a SOLID effort.  Good job.
2012-02-12 8:51 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Wow.  6:25 pace eh?  Ya done good kid.  Ya done good.  Makes me proud.  Have an extra scoop of ice cream.
2012-02-13 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Under 20 minutes is one of my goals for this year.  Congrats, I'm happy for you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fanny Freezer Rss Feed