YMCA
6F / -14C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 22s
Overall Rank = 272/2200
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 51/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up two hours before race start. Had a sleepness night before due to being sick and in a hotel room with a less than comfortable bed. Grabbed a quick shower and got dressed in my race gear which consisted of a red long sleeve light weight running shirt, a thick red flannel vest, and back running shorts with a red strip down the outside of each leg. Went downstairs for a quick breakfast of apple juice and two peices of wheat toast with a small amount of jelly.
Event warmup:

It was COLD outside! The wind gusts made it even worse dropping the temp down to -5. Which my shorts and light weight shirt I felt every bit of the -5 temp. I ran the six blocks from my parking spot to the Downtown YMCA. I arrived about an hour early so I did my packet pickup then just mingled with people. This is my third year doing this race so I was able to speak with people that I've meet on the race circut and also met some new people. I stayed inside most of the time and walked around to keep my legs warm and loose.
Run
  • 52m 22s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

During the race my ears never really warmed up. Once I got running my legs warmed up quickly and I soon forgot that I was wearing shorts. By time time I hit mile 3 my hands had warmed up and I was able to run without my hands being tucked in the sleeves of my shirt.
Two years ago I ran with a red and black beanie hat and it took only a few minutes for my ears and head to become to hot. This year I wore a running hat which left my head warm but my ears cold.
What would you do differently?:

I think next year I will wear a headband to keep my ears warm along with a running hat.
My overall time is less than I wanted, that being said I faced several challanges in the weeks leading up to the race. First my son got sick, then I had a knee injury, then a head injury, then a shoulder injury, followed by me being sick several days before and the day of the race. This was a C race for me so I really did not push myself to much. Didn't want to risk reinjuring myself of getting sicker.
Post race
Warm down:

By time time I crossed the finish line my poor legs were red from the cold and my legs began to crap as soon as I stopped running. I quickly made my way indoors to begin walking around and doing light stretches until my legs rewarmed themselves. After that I got with the first year doctor studetns for a 15 minute deep stretch session.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recovering from three seperate injuries and being sick. That and it was COLD!!!!!!!!!

Event comments:

This is a small race but it is one of my favirates. While there are a small group of competive runners most everyone there is there to have a good time and enjoy the company of other people.

Last updated: 2012-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:22 | 05 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 272/
Overall: 0/2200
Performance: Average
Course: This was a mostly flat course that was out and back through down town Des Moines. There were three mostly minor hills with the worst one first was we approached the capital building. At the 2.75 mile mark the course split with the 3 mile runners turning left to finish and the 5 mile runners continuing strait to go down a long downtown streat. Once we split we ran from 2ed Ave to 17th Ave turned around for one block then turned right to go back the way we came down the parallel street. We crossed a small bridge spanning the Des Moines River to the finish line. There were no water stops along the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes