General Discussion Race Reports! » ORRRC Splash n' Dash #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ORRRC Splash n' Dash #2 - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kettering, Ohio
United States
ORRRC
0F / -18C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 38s
Overall Rank = 30/49
Age Group = Chicks 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Friends met us at the apartment at 6:30. Got up late, ran around trying to find my stuff and packing my bag plus a bag of stuff for my friend who was doing the just Dash - she literally didn't even a sweatshirt...I think her bag was more well packed than mine. Drove to Starbucks with our friends to discover that it wasn't opened. Drove to another Starbucks...thank goodness it was open because we didn't make coffee at home and my FTP without coffee, well, it's not pretty. Luckily we found him some coffee.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the Rec Center. Went in, got registered and then goofed off with my Tri Dad. We were in the first wave so we got in and warmed up and he preceded to try and drown me during warm up. I splashed lots of water at him and yelled at him - it was all kinds of fun.
Swim
  • 17m 46s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Shared a lane with my Tri Dad - he took off FAST - all I could think was I can't let the old man lap me...but this worked to my advantage because I swam in his draft until he finally realized that I was drafting him and slowed down, we then swam side by side for 300 yards or so and then he finally pulled away. He was far more efficient in his open turns and pushing off the walls than I was but really he's just faster than me in the pool...right now anyway. It is my promise to myself that when we do Versailles Xterra this summer, I will beat him out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was all for fun.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

This is a guess since they lump in the transition with the run and I couldn't make my watch work because I'm an idiot. My FTP - who didn't race because he was down with the cold/flu big earlier this week - said my transition was probably longer than this meaning my run was shorter. It was really freaking cold, like 0* with the windchill factor so i took the time to try and dry off and put some clothes on. Tri Daddy did not take the time to do this and said on the phone today he regretted not taking the time to put more clothes on.

Nothing, this was just for fun.
Run
  • 30m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, this is a guesstimation - it seems I may have been a tad faster than this because my transition was probably longer but whatever. The run was PAINFUL! Actually it wasn't that bad except for the two pieces of the route where the wind hit me and then it was so cold it almost took my breath away. The good news was while I felt gassed (mostly from the swim and not recovering even during my super long transition) I felt no cramps, I just couldn't get my breath in the really cold air.

Run More!
Post race
Warm down:

Coughed and teared up ridiculously because of the cold. Went in and hugged the Tri Parents - bid them goodbye and then got changed into Dru Clothes and headed out to cheer on our friends finishing both the Splash N Dash and Just Dash - after we were all finished we all went to Panera for breakfast and then my FTP and I came home and snuggled up for a nice nap - we happened to be fraggle-less so it was a bonus to come home and take a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training and the extra 20 lbs. I'm carrying around - ugh!

Event comments:

Love the SND Series - after all this is where my multisport love started!

Last updated: 2012-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:46 | 1000 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 26/49
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Top plue Tri Shorts
Course: 1000 Yards Time Trial Start in a Pool 20 Laps Total with Lap Counter
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good