General Discussion Race Reports! » 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
United States
26.2 with Donna
30F / -1C
Total Time = 4h 30m 31s
Overall Rank = 649/1791
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 54/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00, got dressed ate some oatmeal and went down to the hotel lobby in hopes of getting on the 4:30 bus but we just missed that. We waited 20 minutes for the next one and was able to get on with no problem. Arrived at the site by 5:20 and immediately tried to find a place to stay warm. Found the port-a-potties and watched the lines form and then disappeared, the lines told us when buses arrived. My husband was with me and he was not running so I was able to give him the jacket and extra pants I was wearing.
Event warmup:

There really wasn't a warm up as you didn't want to move away from the heaters until the last possible minute. While standing in the corrals I did do a few stretches but mostly it was us jumping up and down trying to stay warm.
Run
  • 4h 30m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Granted it was freezing cold when we started at 6:30 but it was the wind that made the run so miserable. I was dressed in layers in hopes that towards the end I would be peeling some off but that never happened as I don't think it warmed up like they said it would.

The first few miles I felt good and was shocked at my times as they were faster then what I was planning on doing. But I felt good and the pace felt good so I just let my body dedicate the pace. Several times I did have to tell myself that I am running my race and not to get caught up with others. I was doing the 12:1 interval and that worked really well for me. I was running by myself and did not have music to listen to, instead I was looking forward to listening to the bands on the route and talking to those around me.

I have never ran a race with so many Gel and water stations as this race had. I really didn't need to carry my own gels as they were there right when I needed to take one and they were before the water station.

The course had a lot of turns it seemed that in some spots that was all that we were doing was making turns.

Running on the beach would have been wonderful if it wasn't so dang windy. They did a great job creating a ramp that took us on and off the beach. It was a little slippery when we got on it but if you were careful it wasn't an issue.

I slowed down with about 5 miles left as I believe dealing with the wind and cold just beat me down. I did manage to hold on and crushed my previous marathon time by 26 minutes!

What would you do differently?:

I wonder doing another 20 mile run would helped instead of just doing it once.
Post race
Warm down:

Once again there was none. When I found out there was no food and since I was hurting we just left to get in line for the bus so that I could thaw out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind conditions but that is nothing no one can control. When I got to the last 5 miles I was just so beat from fighting the conditions. The bridge of my nose is still sore from the wind blowing the sunglasses against my face.

Event comments:

The race was absolutely wonderful except for the post-race activities. They ran out of food for those that finished in the middle. Never did find my pink champagne.

Last updated: 2012-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:30:31 | 26.2 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1791
Performance: Good
Course: It was a beautiful course through the city of Jacksonville neighborhoods. Was amazed at the number of people who came out to support us despite the freezing cold. The crowds were wonderful as they would call us by name, clap, wave and provide warmth. Yes, several of them had fires going so we could stop and warm up, a great group of supporters!
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-14 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer

2012-02-14 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4047576

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer
26 minutes off your PR, great job!  You should join our mentor group!
2012-02-15 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4047576

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer
Congrats. Those are tough conditions to overcome in a marathon. And to do it in a PR is impressive!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer Rss Feed