General Discussion Race Reports! » Galveston Mardi Gras Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Galveston Mardi Gras Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
On The Run, Inc.
Total Time = 2h 06m 5s
Overall Rank = 346/1015
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 36/74
Pre-race routine:

Up early for a Clif bar and coffee. Checked weather: line of hard rain was hovering over island, but looked like it would ease off shore by start time. Drove to island in a light rain.
Event warmup:

Parked, found a couple buddies in the garage, put on a trashbag for the rain, and walked to the starting area. Used the porta and huddled under a porch awning until start time. Fortunately the heavy rain had moved off the island, but it was still drizzly so we started w/our trashbags/ponchos on. I ended up ditching mine around Mile 2.
Run
  • 2h 06m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I had 2 buddies with the same goal as me(1:59.59), so I started with them. They were doing a run/walk though, so our starting pace was kinda hard for me, until their first walk. I hadn't trained run/walk, so I jogged during their walks and we yo-yo'd like this for about 6 miles. Along the Seawall we had some pretty mean headwinds. Normally running in wind is not a big deal to me but I could really feel the effort and found myself trying to draft anyone and everyone along the way. One buddy dropped off for a porta, so I tried to stay w/the other but his run pace was just beyond what I could maintain. I lost sight of him at about 8 miles. Then the other one caught me and I stayed with her for about a half-mile but I didn't have it in me to keep her pace. I didn't slow down as much in Miles 8-10 as I did last year, but still fell off pace. From Mile 10 on I pushed pretty hard. The last mile was very strong, but I didn't have enough left to really kick.
What would you do differently?:

Just run more. I reached my highest weekly and monthly run mileage ever training for this race, but that's just 25 for a week and 101 for the month. Still need more miles. I also need to work on maintaining overall health during heavy training as I was fighting a sinus infection the whole week before the race. Lastly, I'm going to resume training w/the HRM and try Maffetone, a run/walk or both, to see if I can have more in the tank during the middle miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my buddies, checked on a couple other friends. Got water, taco, Muscle Milk, walked around a little. It was drizzling again and I started getting cold, so I headed to the parking garage. Took a wrong turn and wound up walking a few extra blocks. Was shivering when I got to truck, but at least I got in a good walk. Turned on the heater and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run fitness, overall health.

Event comments:

I think the weather hindered some of the support efforts. Not as much nutrition at aid stations as last year. No beer at the finish?!? Still a very good race, and one I will do again if schedule permits.

Last updated: 2012-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:06:05 | 13.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/74
Overall: 346/1015
Performance: Good
Course: Starts near the Strand in Galveston. Out to Broadway then West along the Seawall, into a neighborhood, then back out to the Seawall, then East all the way to a little beachside resort just short of East Beach. Then back along the Seawall, by the medical ctr area, to the Start/Finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes