Got up, dressed and had my typical pre-race bowl of oatmeal
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 1h 40m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a little unsure going into the race because I'd been having some trouble fully recovering from an upper respiratory infection and had been a bit lax on hitting all my training runs. I went into the race hoping to run a 1:38 but was worried about my lack of fitness, being sick and the course being tough. Course turned out to be easier (in my mind anyway) than the Iron Horse 15k (but I'm also a little more fit than I was for the 15k) but still proved to be a little too much for me on race day to hit my goal. I thought I was on target through mile 10 or so but the reality was I was actually behind target because I went out 30 seconds too slow in the first mile for my goal. Looking over my splits after the race, it was interesting to see that I had a couple of my faster mile splits late in the race. I really thought I was struggling to keep pace but it actually felt hard because I was pushing it to try and catch up to pace. I was worried about the course being repetitive but I was never really bothered by the mall loops or the repeat mileage in the middle of the race. The neighborhood portion of the 15k was not there which was a relief for me. I wore some old shoes because of the rain and could definitely feel some lower leg aches and pains. I'm thinking I'd like to get a lighter weight running shoe to race in but I'm sure the weather conditions made everything feel just a bit heavier.

I have done three halfs since November and have stayed pretty consistent with my finish times: 1:41, 1:39, 1:40. After a few years of injuries, weight gain and loss and gain, and some major life events I am happy to be back racing and racing pretty well but I'd like to break the 1:38 barrier in the half and think I am definitely capable of doing so.

It was great to receive an age group award and to see I was the 5th woman overall. That is definitely encouraging for me but I'm still looking to reach my 1:38 goal. I know I can do it, it's just a matter of training right and having that "perfect" race at the half marathon distance.
What would you do differently?:

Need to start the race a little faster and then sustain rather than trying to start slower and reserve, and then trying to pick up the lost time late in the race.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still not fully recovered from an upper respiratory infection, not being consistent with speedwork and missing runs lately

Event comments:

A decent, low-key half marathon. There was a change to the run course due to issues with DOT but the course was well-marshalled and there were no issues with the course change. Course ends up repeating itself in parts but was still a decent course. It's definitely not flat but not too hilly or tough.

Last updated: 2012-02-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:21 | 13.1 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 38/372
Performance: Good
1/38 in Age Group 5/184 in Females 38/372 in Overall Lap 1 - 8:00 Lap 2 - 7:36 Lap 3 - 7:42 Lap 4 - 7:25 Lap 5 - 7:56 Lap 6 - 7:38 Lap 7 - 7:24 Lap 8 - 7:42 Lap 9 - 7:36 Lap 10 - 7:23 Lap 11 - 7:39 Lap 12 - 7:37 Lap 13 - 7:11 Lap 14 - 7:10 pace
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes