Mattoon Beach Multisport
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 09m 48s
Overall Rank = 9/52
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

I ate a banana and a small bagel before leaving. When I got there I drank 20 oz of Gatorade.
I tried to stay warm mostly by staying in my car. Not the best way to get warmed up.
Event warmup:

I finally took a 6 minute run and a 6 minute swim.
Swim
  • 05m 36s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a bad swim for the first time I have ever swam in open water (unless you count childhood beach and river trips) or swam in a wetsuit.
I don't really think this was 400m. There is no way I could have swam that fast in freezing water. I know Orca makes a good wetsuit, but it doesn't have a propeller and that is the only way I could swim that fast. Oh, by the way, THANK GOD FOR FULLSUITS.
I'm not sure about the water temp, but I think I saw some chunks of ice float by me.
What would you do differently?:

I would site the buoys a little more often. I took a very long turn around the first buoy, but it did get me out of a large group that was swimming slower than me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Man I need work on my transitions. I could have been a competitor if I work on my transitions. Of course when you can't feel your hands it is hard to do much, but what are those people doing to get times below a minute.

Practice my transitions and maybe swim in my wetsuit once before the race so I can practice getting out of it.
Bike
  • 38m 4s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I was real happy with my biking. What do you know? The indoor trainer was a great investment, but it doesn't do much for cornering. Hopefully my cornering will get better throughout the season. Maybe I will do some of the local time trials this summer...hmmm...
Oh by the way...it was really, really, really cold. At one point I'm sure it was sleeting. I forgot my sunglasses in my car and boy did I pay for that.

In the middle of the bike segment I got a little too comfortable and I noticed my HR dropped 9 bmp. I was trying to keep my HR around 152, but found it at 145 without noticing. I will pay better attention next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Here we go again. I sure did work on transitions. It didn't help that I couldn't feel my fingers. I couldn't pinch my quick laces. For a sec I just looked at my running shoes and hoped someone would come by and tie them for me, but no one did. But a bunch of people came and went while I was looking for my finger tips.

hmmm... hand warmers. Would that work?
Run
  • 22m 10s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

And I thought my hands were cold at transition. At some point I'm sure my sweat froze to my face. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but did I say it was cold. It wasn't so bad after the turn and I was able to pick up the pace a bit. My legs were a bit toast at the beginning.

More bricks. More bricks. More bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Shivering. I havn't been that cold in years.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather and not practicing my transitions enough.

Event comments:

Organization was acceptable, especially under these conditions. Thumbs up.

A++++++++ to the volunteers. Apparently triathletes are just crazy enough to swim, bike, run in that weather, but thank God for every single person out there helping.

Last updated: 2006-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:36 | 400 meters | 01m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 14/52
Performance: Average
HR 135
Suit: Orca Predator fullsuit
Course: Rock/sand start in brown water. Out to a buoy, turn right, go two buoys and make a right, then swim to shore.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 52F / 11C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:04 | 13 miles | 20.49 mile/hr
Overall: 6/52
Performance:
HR 150
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back on wet roads with some rock/sand.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:10 | 03 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 6/52
Performance: Good
Something went wrong with my heart rate monitor. I'm guessing it froze to my chest.
Course: Cold and bitter run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-14 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Subject: Mutisport Mayhem

2006-05-14 10:16 PM
in reply to: #423391

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Mutisport Mayhem

Hey!  Thanks for making a miserable day a great day!  Really enjoyed hanging out and chat'n.  Always great to make a new friend (especially for a guy like me who doesn't like too many people, huh?). 

Oh...you did earn your trophy, as the guy who won your age group also won 1st place overall, eliminating him from your group!  You are in tuff, tuff division - the proof is someone from it - won the overall! 

Change your BT name to ONEFASTDOC!   Awesome job!  Your rock!!!!

2006-05-15 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Thanks man! Maybe I will after I figure out how to transition faster. In fact, I would love to have someone explain transitions a little better to me.
2006-05-17 5:07 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Welcome to the World of Triathlon!   Your race looks great -- especially for those conditions --  BRRRRRRR.

Keep up the good work and welcome to the group

Hello, my name is UTTRIMAN, and I'm a Triathlete   

2006-05-19 1:08 PM

It was definitely a tough day to race… It was very cold when you all exited off on the bike... The temperature dropped and I could see my breath. Your received a 3rd place trophy because the Overall winner was in your age group, so he was removed from the 35-39 age group bumping you up a spot. We had some problems with our finish line chip reader, it stopped functioning after 30 chips went across so we had to go to our back up…which thank the Good Lord…was good. On top of that there was handful of volunteers didn’t show up for the beautiful weather... Awards were supposed to be at 12:00pm we started at 11:30am... I think is seemed long because it was so darn cold.

You should be proud of finishing as well as you did on such a tough day.

Edited by wetri 2006-05-19 1:09 PM
2006-05-19 2:59 PM
in reply to: #428376

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Thanks to you and all the volunteers that did show up. All and all, it went pretty smooth, but I think you're right, it was sooooo cold everything seemed to take longer. I look forward to racing again in June at Wolf Creek.

2006-05-19 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Yep...you need to change your screen name to onefastdoc. You're definitely not slow.Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mutisport Mayhem Rss Feed