United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 42m 44s
Overall Rank = 2/52
Age Group = 30-39m
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Destin Friday. Stayed at our new condo for the first time. Drank a bit too much wine and beer. Ate a nice pasta dinner at Tuscany on 98. Jogged 2 miles on the beach Saturday morning. Went to a very nice pre race meeting after packet pick up.
The event benefits Special Operation Warrior Freedom which provides scholarship money to children who lost their parent(s) in combat. The area is a military area and the RD is a miltary guy. the RD is a supr cool, super nice guy.
I also met a zany ultra runner who calls himself the run bum. www.runbum.com He runs all the time, living the dream. Really cool dude.
Saturday I packed all my drop bags-multiple shoes, socks, gels, drinks, food, SUNSCREEN, lube. Ate a light dinner and drank a few beers.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up. Some light stretching. Met a guy from the same county I live in who I'd hooked up with online, Cory. Chit-chatted, was led in a nice prayer.
Run
  • 7h 42m 44s
  • 50 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first event past 26.2 of which I'd done 10 with a 2:54 pr just 2 months prior. I ran a 20, 23,25 and 32 in training. I did 19 miles of beach running prior to race. I checked the maiden event results from last year and really thought I had a chance to win. The guy who won last year was back this year. The goal was to start out at 7:50-8 per pace and see how long I could hold it. Primary goal was to break 7 hours with sub 8 being b goal and finishing c goal.
I had a nathan handheld packed full of gels and a nathan belt with 2 flasks and many gels. The plan was to take gels every 40 minutes or as needed as the race progressed.
I was following the previous years winner's footprints in the sand from the minute we started.
One real cool thing to note about the start-I really like races that start on time and with this being a military oriented event it did. It was to start at 5 am. When I plugged my garmin in my computer, it started at 5:00:02. AWESOME.
We started at 5 under the absolutely breathtaking moonlight with a slight tailwind right down on the shoreline of the beautiful Gulf of Mexico. I ran mostly by myself for the first few miles following the leaders prints. The sand was mainly hard packed on the way out. There were supposed to be several river crossings during the first 30 miles, so I didn't stress over keeping my feet dry. If they got wet, they just got wet, I just wanted to make sure I stayed on firm sand if I could. This was probably a tactical mistake. I should have tried to avoid the water and sand as much as possible. The river crossings weren't that bad.I stopped at the 5 mile station to refill, forgetting that there was one at mile 10 another tactical mistake.

At mile 14 I met the leader who was at mile 16! Oh well, barring a collapse by him, I needed to run for 2nd.
I changed shoes and socks at mile 15. I left the 15 mile station right a 2 hours-8 min/mile-right on track!!

This is where things started to change. We were headed west for the next 25 miles. Mother nature decided to drop a 20-30mph wind out of the west. It was brutal It slowed me to a walk several times. I began questioning being able to finish. I knew sub 7 hrs wasn't happening. It was here I knew I had underestimated the toll the sand was taking on my muscles. The hard packed sand was nowhere to be found. It was either squishy or sticky or fluffy for the next 35 miles. I slogged my way to the 30 mile station. It was cool meeting the other runners on their way out as I was coming in.
I changed shoes at mile 30. I had been executing my nutrition/hydration plan to perfection through mile 30. After that, I quit thinking clearly and it seemed like I was constantly taking a gel or drinking something. It had warmed to 60 or so with 100% humidity and sunny. I resolved to keep my feet as dry as possible the last 20 miles. My family was waiting on me outside our place at mile 32. I was supposed to be there by 9. It was more like 9:20. It was great to see them. Kissed my wife and headed on into that cursed wind. It was restless.
I finally made it the mile 38 station. The Back Porch restaurant. They let me use a storage shed for bathroom,so I didn't have to climb the stairs!! Thanks so much!! They also asked my name and cheered for me as I came back through. I ditched my handheld and knew I only had 2 more miles of that terrible wind! I saw the leader at about mile 38 and asked how the tailwind felt-he said, AWESOME.
Finally turned around at mile 40 and it did feel awesome!! The last 10 miles was great! I met the third place runner about 4 miles behind me, so I felt good about a 2nd place finish. Saw the Run Bum on the way back in. He was filming his run. He assured me that I wasn't catching the leader!!
I finally smiled to myself aboout mile 46, knowing that I would finish strong and feeling proud of my accomplishment.
Came across the finish line in 7:42. Hugged my family, took some photos.
What would you do differently?:

Keep feet dry.
Plan aid station stops better.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down, took my shoes off, dumped out the sand. Found a huge blood blister on one toe. One ankle was scuffed from where I was kicking it with my opposite shoe which was covered in sand.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on sand.

Event comments:

This is one of the best races I've ever participated in. The organization was flawless. The RD is very informative. The cause is outstanding. I will be constantly thinking of ways to improve for next year and will be recruiting people to come race it.

www.destin50.com

Last updated: 2012-02-23 12:00 AM
Running
07:42:44 | 50 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/52
Performance: Good
Course: ALL ON THE BEACH. 15 mile out to the east, 15 mile back to start headed west, continue 10 miles out west, the 10 miles back east to finish/start. AWESOME aid stations at mile 5&25,10&20,15,35&45,38&42. Aid stations were located at local beachside restaurants/resorts and included a plethora of food, beverages and supportive volunteers. I didn't take em in quite as much as some folks as I was pretty focused on a strong finish. Drop bags were at 15 mile turnaround, 30 mile start/finish, and 38-42 aid station.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-23 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Subject: Destin 50 Beach Ultra

2012-02-23 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4062012

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Destin 50 Beach Ultra
wow, great time for a 50 miler!  Is this whole race on the beach in Destin? I want more details because this sounds like an awesome race!  Destin is such a beautiful area.
2012-02-23 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4062022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
djastroman - 2012-02-23 8:32 AM

wow, great time for a 50 miler!  Is this whole race on the beach in Destin? I want more details because this sounds like an awesome race!  Destin is such a beautiful area.

Yes, it was all on the beach. It was my first race past 26.2 and an AWESOME experience. The race director is a super guy and it's for a great cause. Great aid stations. 2 especially-they are at beachside seafood restaraunts and will let you order whatever!-oysters, potatos, beer....

The sand was brutal, and we had a 20-30mph headwind from miles 15-40, but I'm putting it on my calendar for next year. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. Check em out on facebook or their website.

Kris

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/151535690
2012-03-01 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Bump. I finally posted some details.
I didn't spell check it, so no telling what's in there.....
2012-03-01 3:14 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

just. plain. awesome!  Nice race man, it sounds really really cool.

Is the course away from all the touristy spots in Destin, like going towards Sandestin or something?  Just wondering if you were running behind all those hotels or something along the gulf.

Sounds like alot of sand got in your shoes.  Did you wear gaiters?  That might help if you do it next year if you didnt.

This might be a nice vacation race for me.... sounds like a lot of fun.  I'd be more like 9-10 hrs though.

2012-03-01 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4075821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
djastroman - 2012-03-01 3:14 PM

just. plain. awesome!  Nice race man, it sounds really really cool.

Is the course away from all the touristy spots in Destin, like going towards Sandestin or something?  Just wondering if you were running behind all those hotels or something along the gulf.

Sounds like alot of sand got in your shoes.  Did you wear gaiters?  That might help if you do it next year if you didnt.

This might be a nice vacation race for me.... sounds like a lot of fun.  I'd be more like 9-10 hrs though.

The race starts east of Sandestin(Tops'l) and heads 15 miles east, then comes back. So, the first 30 miles is a lot of state parks and smaller houses/condos on the beach. Then, after 30, you head towards Destin city. The first 6 or so is scenic 98 are which is beautiful, then the next couple is Henderson Beach State Park. Mile 38/42 is at the Back Porch restaurant which is the tip of the area you speak of. So, 4 miles or so is that tourist area.

Much sand in the shoes. Several people wore gaiter/neoprene socks/vibrams/barefoot. I think I made the right choice with regular running shoes, but next time I won't be so nonchalant about the water!!

Come next year. I really didn't take in the aid stations like could be done. At the Back Porch you could order off their menu at mile 38-oysters, beer fish potatos whatever-and pick it up at mile 42!!! However, I just wanted to finish at that point.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Destin 50 Beach Ultra Rss Feed