General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Park Series -- Fort Yargo Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri Park Series -- Fort Yargo Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winder, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 110/305
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after a few hours of tossing around. I can never get a good night's sleep the day before a race. Brew coffee -- get a huge coffee and changed into race gear. Pack the car and drive to the site.
Event warmup:

Set up transition area and get body marked. Walked to the beach to check out the water temperature. COLD! Changed into my running shoes and jogged around the park to stay warm.
Swim
  • 18m 5s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Freakishly slow swim. I did not even try to swim the way I could in a regular pool. I think I have some phobia swimming open water -- not good. My goal was to carry out the swim motions and finish safely. This time I swam way left, away from the crowd. I was actually enjoying the scenery of the state park until one swmmier from the third wave hit me. I saw 2 swimmer swam way off course at the 500m mark. I felt bad for them. But I guess that's good because I am not last in my wave. The run from the beach to the transition area was hellish. I think the park grounds should be covered with running matts so we don't get injured by them nasty mulch, rocks, etc! It was a long run and I am pretty sure the total swim tim reflects that. I walked to my transition... sucks (*&^%$#!!
What would you do differently?:

Get more open water swim workouts in so I won't panic. I know I can swim adequately so I just need to fix my psychological aspects of this race section or else move to dualthlon for good.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

[T1 - 2:03]Took my time here. Once th suit is off, everything when fast. I dash out of the transition area as the officials kept yelling "STAY ON YOUR RIGHT!" .... I blocked all of the yelling and looking forward for the bike ride.

There were 4 transitions -- T1 was hideous (comments above...)

[T3 - 0:54] faster transition. I was smilling all the way due to the fun short run.

Move faster. Grease my body more so the darn suit would peel off easier?
Bike
  • 43m 41s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a fun format -- when I finally established my pace, the course was over and have to transition to the run. This was maddening! I know I past many bikers and that was encouraging as I was smoked badly in my swim. I was frantically trying my best to play catch up.

Keep riding Silking Sheets and do some hard cycling workouts up those hills. I weak link in the bike is sprinting on flat stretch. I catch up my peers during hill climbs...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

[T2 - 1:09 Average I guess. I was breathing hard from that monster hill. I had to take my sweet time to gather myself before running out...]

[T4- 0:49 Feeling good. The last bike loop went better than the first. I was so excited to complete the race I almost ran out with my bike helmt on...]

Haul ass .... drink more before moving out of the transition area.
Run
  • 23m 30s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought the course was a fun one but again by the time I established my pace the run was over..*&^%$#!!! The course felt short but I had fun.

Run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

walk around and hydrate and chat with buddies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my darn swim!

Event comments:

4 transitions for a sprint tri is simply too many.... *&^%$!!! It was great finally meeting you, donmck, even though it was a short moment. Overall, I had fun even though I, again, have a lousy swim. Keep tri'ing I guess... doh!

Last updated: 2006-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:05 | 600 meters | 03m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/305
Performance: Bad
Suit: wet suit
Course: A triangle course -- 300m to and back with one turn buoy. 4 waves. The lake water was decent and cold.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:41 | 12.8 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course was divided into 2 parts -- 6.4 miles each around the state park. Hills everywhere ... the last 2 hills at mile 5 were killers. I race smarter on my second bike loop and was able to tackle that monster well. The first leg was pure hell. I was surprised I did not yell profanities... 9mph up the darn thing and yet I still pass others. Geez, not fun at all!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:30 | 03.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Divided into 2 legs -- 1.55miles per leg around state park, partly gravel road, paved road,and mostly trail paths.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-14 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: Tri Park Series -- Fort Yargo Sprint Tri

2006-05-14 7:41 PM
in reply to: #423523

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Park Series -- Fort Yargo Sprint Tri

Hey, Alan! Great job out there! Sorry that we didn't get to say hello. I agree with you about the transitions - too much switching around! The only good part was the run being so short each time.

Even with your "freakishly slow swim" you were still a whole minute ahead of me! You were super speedy on both the bike and the run! Congrats on a great race!

Amanda

2006-05-15 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
"It was great finally meeting you, donmck, even though it was a short moment."

LOL, it was a short moment, you went by me so fast you were a blur.

Great job, stick with the swim, once you get past the anxiety you'll be fine. My trick is to start swimming as slowly as I can and build speed as I go. It seems to work. That and staying out of the crowds. I started right this time and swam right and joined the crowd at the first bouy.
2006-05-15 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
You can have my swimming and I'll take your other two events. Good job. I agree about the transitions, too many.
2006-05-15 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Good job! Way to finish strong. Hope to see you at mistletoe.
2006-05-15 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Thanks peeps!! I am still freaked out with my swim. I just changed 2 of my races into duathlons. I will be racing in the du event instead of tri at Mistletoe -- so, let the running begin...LOL .... And I will be doing the DU at Russell instead of Indian Springs Tri.

Meantime, I will hit the pool for more swim time for High Falls and Tri PTC.

Anyone doing Peachtree Road Race? ....

2006-05-16 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Alabama
Good race, and I totally agree about the path to the transition area from the swim. They really ought to sweep that better. I did this race last year and I put sandals down there so I could actually run up.
congrats
sam
2006-05-16 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Yea, I did the race last year too and had flip flops...I don't know why I didn't remember that I needed them. Maybe I thought I was tougher this year! Haha!
2006-05-19 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Good tri! Sorry that you hated the swim, though your run time definitely makes up for that. I also had a tough time getting my rhythm due to the frequent transitions. Oh, well, here come Mistletoe!
2006-05-19 6:43 PM
in reply to: #428438

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
RJSuperfreaky - 2006-05-19 1:50 PM

Good tri! Sorry that you hated the swim, though your run time definitely makes up for that. I also had a tough time getting my rhythm due to the frequent transitions. Oh, well, here come Mistletoe!

I will be racing duathlon instead of tri at Mistletoe ... joy! See you at Mistletoe!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Park Series -- Fort Yargo Sprint Tri Rss Feed