Stand Among Friends
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 28s
Overall Rank = 72/309
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race with a friend. It was raining a little bit, more like misting. We got our bags and went back to the car to stay dry while we waited. I rarely eat before short races or this close to race time, but I was hungry so I grabbed 1/2 bagel to eat in the car.
Event warmup:

Used port a potties, stretched a bit, tried to stay warm in the wind.
Run
  • 27m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't run on the road in over a month! There is a contest going on at my gym so I've been only doing treadmill running for all of February. I was interested to see how it would translate to the road since before now I had never used the treadmill.

The first mile felt fast - my legs felt OK, but as always my lungs were dying. I got some water at the 1 mile mark and it didn't sit so well in my stomach. The rest of the race I had a stomach cramp - I'm not sure if it was from the water, the bagel or the fast running.

Second and third mile were about the same. At mile 2 we did about a 10-20 second walk so I could gargle some water. We were running much faster than we normally do but decided to just keep going until we had to walk, but we never did! We both had problems, her legs, my lungs, both of our faces were burning up but somehow kept going.

At the very end, about 10-20 yards to go, there was a sharp corner to the finish line. I was on the inside and let my friend get ahead so we wouldn't be squished on the turn. We finished within a step or so of each other. Bad idea - she ended up coming in 2nd place and I came in 3rd place in our age group! :)

What would you do differently?:

Stay next to my friend so I might have gotten 2nd place! Probably not eaten the bagel or only had a few bites.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and had to leave right away so my friend could get her kids to church. Never saw the results until just now - I wonder if I'll get a medal or something?!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not running outside in a long time. Stomach cramp.

Event comments:

Great, small local race. It is run by a charity called Stand Among Friends that helps disabled people find jobs in the community. There is an impaired division that is inspiring.

Last updated: 2012-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:28 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 12/309
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, winding through FAU campus on roads and sidewalks
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4