Age Group = 40 - 49
Age Group Rank = 73/91
Run
  • 2h 03m 1s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

I had heard that the Big Lake course was fast yet punishing. I now believe it! Perhaps the most punishing element was the rain this year - it was far worse than the killer hill at mile 9. I kept thinking "rain, rain, go away" but it really didn't work. We had drizzle to steady rain throughout the event.

I got to the registration ridicously early (it's a ritual of mine- much like pop-tarts as my pre-race breakfast selection). I met up with several friends from the Granite State Triathlon Club. They were manning the registration table where I picked up my bib and chip. At the starting line, I was fortunate enough to meet two additional members from GSTC. We started out pre-race nervous banter routine and tried to stay as warm as possible in the cold rain. As it turns out, one of the members, Carol, would become my pace partner for the race. She said that she wanted to do the race just under 2:00. My pre-race goal was 2:15; I set my goal low due to: I had heard that this was a tough course, the weather, and the medium intensity of my training. In my mind, I thought I would keep up with her for 6 - 7 miles and then say goodbye. That is not exactly how it "went down"... The "gun" went off and the three of us "mosied" on for about 5K. From that point until mile 10, Carol and I kept each other going. I have to admit, running while having someone to pace and pass the time with made it much easier. It was a hard course but it seemed easier due to the company! After the "worst was over," i.e. the killer hill at mile 9, I had a mild "bonk." I did not prep enough for this course. I did not fuel myself properly for the week leading up to the race. The rain did not help! So, the last 5K felt like my first 5K I ever ran (which was less than two years ago). I went from a 9 - 9:13 pace (or better) to a 10 - 10:30 pace (or worse). I had to watch all the people I had passed earlier run right by me. Umm, umm, humble pie! There was absolutely nothing I could do about it :-( I found my way to the finish line at 2:03:01. The "pizza and ice cream signs in one mile" motivated me to keep going!

Despite the poor finish, this race was a success for me. I lowered my PR from 2:06 to 2:03. This was on a much harder course than I had run previously and in dismal conditions. I also learned not to take the prerace nutrition for granted. I believe my confidence has grown as well. On an aside, I also learned not to wear loose fitting running shorts in the rain - ouch! I thought some things would not chaf. I was wrong...

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:01 | 13.05 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/91
Overall: 713/1348
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2