General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family Racing
70'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 4s
Overall Rank = 47/138
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

A little bit of the usual...woke up with a cup of coffee and a half bagel with peanut butter and started sipping on a diluted sports drink. After breakfast, stretched in the shower, loaded up my equipment and headed off to the race listening to the Coffee House and The Joint on SiriusXM.
Event warmup:

Very little warm-up and I felt it...It was super cold out at the beginning so I was hesitant to warm up in the pool and then wait in line for the take off. (Pool tri, serpentine style.) I tried to make up for it by waving my arms around, but to little avail. Little jogging back and forth to my truck, but not a whole lot of warming-up.
Swim
  • 10m 18s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall rank includes T1 time as well...shown as 10:18 on results page, but Timex showed 8:29. Decent swim, but there were some areas that got pretty congested during some parts where the lanes narrowed a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Pacing myself and not throwing everything I've worked on out of the window would have been a first good step. But really what got me was the pauses I took to go under the ropes in pool. I'm really going to work on pushing off of the wall to go under rope rather than the "grab and pull" method I was using. A warm-up would have been nice...The first 200m or so I could really feel my muscles getting tired. A result of going at it hard without breaking them in first. I was expecting it, but it still sucked...
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Arrived to transition spot and thought that my bike was taken by accident...It wasn't, but instead it was on the ground with my helmet, sun glasses, and race number scattered all over the place. Had to pick up my bike (off of my neighbors stuff) and lean it against a pole before gathering my items and putting them on. It was a little frustrating, but nothing too crazy...

I racked my bike from the back of the seat for the first time and it got knocked over...I won't be doing that again.
Bike
  • 40m
  • 12.6 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Time included T2 as well...Really need to work on coming out of my corners a bit faster...Still new to this and I think this will come with practice. Happy with effort/pace. Anything close to 19 is fine with me. I messed up my watch using it in Multi-sport for the first time so I don't know what my actual time was without T2.

Cornering, maybe take in more fluids, but that's it...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Will learn the "shoe in the pedal" trick soon enough, but not high on my priority list.
Run
  • 27m 46s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Best run of any race...Not super fast, but ahead of my 7:30 min/mile goal pace by 30 seconds!! Felt good the whole time and I could have kept going if I needed to.

Maybe left a little more out on the course, but still in the stages of figuring out how much effort I can give without running empty too early.
Post race
Warm down:

Little stretching, little hand shaking and a little cheering. Short day so no "warm-down" needed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself and my lack of experience and high intensity training.

Event comments:

You're never going to get a fancy race with a lot of amenities with Tri Family Racing, but what you do get is a great family orientated race, a lot of familiar/friendly faces and a good variety of skill sets to race with/against.

Last updated: 2012-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:18 | 500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 60/138
Performance: Average
N/A
Suit: 2XU top, Pearl Ozuni bottoms
Course: Pool swim serpentine style...
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:00 | 12.6 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Overall: 36/138
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 4 loops course...flat as a pancake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:46 | 04 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 32/138
Performance: Good
Course: Two "back and forth"...flat as bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-27 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon

2012-02-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4069473

Subject: RE: JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon
Good job! Didn't think another BT'er went to JCC. And ouch for the bike seat thing. Though, nice recovery. My friend's stuff was scattered everywhere when she got to T1 too.
2012-02-29 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4072626

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon

renesis - 2012-02-29 7:59 AM Good job! Didn't think another BT'er went to JCC. And ouch for the bike seat thing. Though, nice recovery. My friend's stuff was scattered everywhere when she got to T1 too.

Thanks, man!! Another cool dude, Julius, (jriodique) did it too...You did awesome too, but holy smokes was your age group competitive!! I have to assume all the ASU boys were in your group looking at those times! Looking forward to some training, man...looks like you're gonna be pushing me hardSmile

Edited by JasenGuy 2012-02-29 10:19 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon Rss Feed