View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irvine, California
United States
Total Time = 1h 02m 28s
Overall Rank = 33/183
Age Group = 40+
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

Rode my bike to the event start as I live close by! Prepped transition area, ate 1/2 a bagel w peanut butter and a banana about 1 hour before.
Event warmup:

light jog and a few strides...maybe 1/2 mile
Swim
  • 10m 8s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

terrible....lots of traffic, felt like I was in a washing machine! Swim lanes were set up, had to enter in 1st lane and go up and back in the lane, then under the floating lane divider and up and back in the next lane, etc....to the end of the pool. I've never been in a lane with others before (I guess I'm lucky to have a nice neighborhood Jr Olympic pool in which to practice!) so this was a very new experience for me.
What would you do differently?:

get out to a pool with some lane traffic to get comfortable.
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

T1 was from run to bike. Very fast as I went sock-less and had my cycling shoes clipped into my bike. Unfortunately, right after I mounted my right shoe came up-clipped and fell. So all of the time I saved was lost having to stop, run back and get my shoe, put it on and remount...ugh!

Be sure my shoes are clipped in securely and practice this a bit more
Bike
  • 32m 15s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Cold morning. The Bike was after the run with the pool swim being last. Plenty of rollers on this course, nothing steep, but nothing was flat either! Plenty of traffic as it was a 2 loop course. The college men were wave 1, college women wave 2 (3 minutes behind) and everyone else was wave 3 (3 minutes behind) Thus, there was lots of traffic.

Some roads were blocked to traffic completely, others had a lane or two blocked off...well marked and good traffic control. The 2 hairpin turns, 180 degrees were a bit dicey given the cold damp weather. I felt decent, but just couldn't find my groove. Perhaps I went a bit too hard on the run to start the day?

Ease up on the run a bit...and, get a better fitting bike! (This ended up being my last event on my ill-fitting road bike as I picked up a nice Cervelo P3 about 3 weeks after this event!)
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

this was bike to swim. Did a great job of getting feet out of shoes while keeping the shoes clipped in and a running dismount. (watched the pros on youtube a bunch to get this down!) Simple transition as I only had to remove helmet and glasses, grab by goggles and run! Downside of the "Bike to Pool" was the 250 to 300 yard run down a winding concrete path to the parking lot road that runs behind the large gym to the back where the pool is located....a bit painful on the feet on a cold morning!

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Started at the front of the group for my wave. Ran behind a very strong younger guy who ended up doing the dualathon. I couldn't keep his pace (I think he did a 16:30 to 17 minute run here) but held my own and was not passed by anyone. Lots, I mean lots of traffic to get through as we started behind the college men and women. Was a well marked and fun 1 loop course...and it was challenging.

I think I started too hard trying to keep pace with the #1 guy in our wave. I should have let him go and had a bit more left for the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around...enjoyed a nice pancake breakfast that the race provided...as well as bagels, fruit and cookies!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

too hard on the run and inexperience in the pool with so much lane traffic.

Event comments:

Not a fan of the pool swim...I may do this type of event again, but I won't seek it out! Was nice to not have to worry about my wetsuit...and I'm not good at sighting, so at least the lanes kept me straight!

Was really a college triathlon team event for their tri clubs. About 200 total participants with perhaps 40 being non-college kids. Was cool to see these kids having a great time and competing. Pretty well done for a little, local event.

Last updated: 2012-02-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:08 | 547 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 94/183
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, snaking back and forth
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:15 | 10.5 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 42/183
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: lots of rollers, 2 laps...nothing was flat!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good