Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: Muddy Buddy Adventure Race
Uggh!!! I can't believe it didn't save the race report!!! Ok. much shorter version:

Pre-race prep: I got my brand spanking new road bike on Monday and practiced on the clipless pedals for an hour. Tuesday, rode same bike 18 miles. Friday tried out my bro's mountain bike for 11 miles. That is the extent of the bike riding I have done in the last 10 years!!! That is enough for an adventure race! :)

Didn't do anything before race except got out of bed, lined up with the other crazies.

Part 1: I started out on the bike, road for about 1 mile over grass, up some hills, off a sidewalk, and into some sand.
T1: First obstacle was a rope ladder, followed by a giant slide! Too much fun!
Part 2: Running for about 1 mile on trails. I don't have any experience trail running so that was new. It was much faster and more fun than I would have thought.
T2: Second obstacle, up rope ladder, down the other side. My brother came in on the bike right before me and cracked me up yelling "Used Chariots" from History of the World Part 1.
Part 3: Back on the bike through a bunch of sandy parts, I though I might fall over but since it was 2 inches to the sand, didn't really care. Noticed at this point that the Tigger water bottle strapped to the back was catching the back tire. Tigger has some SERIOUS butt rash right now.
T3: Monkey bars! Piece of cake! That swimming stuff must really be paying off.
Part 4: Running again, this run was still really easy on the trails and was probably 1.5 miles or so.
T4: Big old wall! I was so excited that this was the last obstacle in my first ever adventure race I took the wall in one giant leap!
Part 5: Back on the bike and up a big giant hill, I probably should have shifted gears at some point here but I didn't care since it was almost the end.
THE MUD PIT: I waited about 30 secs for my bro to catch up, threw my shoes off and we climbed into the mud. You have to go under a cargo net then belly crawl in the mud and my minnie mouse ears (see picture) kept getting caught! We stopped at the end of the mud for a picture.

Summary: Considering my complete lack of experience and that we were totally goofing off, it is a miracle we ended up MOP overall and in our age group! This was a great race and I would for sure do it again next year!!!

Edited by Stitch26.2 2006-05-15 4:01 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muddy Buddy Adventure Race Rss Feed