General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Race Insurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-03 7:56 AM

User image

Subject: Endurance Race Insurance

You know, after reading about the cancellation at IMNZ it got me to thinking about race insurance for the participant. I am not sure if this has ever come up before, but couldn't that be a lucrative business venture for someone, or even for WTC to offer. It is offered for any travel plans, and other ticketed events. I imagine it could go something like this. 

You pay 10% of the race fee to some third party company, and in return are guaranteed to get a refund for your race entry fee if for any reason you are unable to start the race...(insert lots of small print and legalese to the end of this to make it official.)

can't imagine losing $700+ dollars of race entry fees if my first IM were to get cancelled. This expense and lack of any kind of guarantee of return in the event of any mishap, especially with the need to sign up at least a year in advance, is really the largest deterrent for me to sign up for my first IM. I will often pay higher fees for races to reserve the ability to sign up slightly closer to the event, and gain a better sense of what might come up in my schedule, or delay entry in case I get injured in some way while training.

Anyway just some thoughts... Is there something like this already out there?

2012-03-03 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4078395

User image

Subject: RE: Endurance Race Insurance
I've had the same thought recently as I'm unable to do a race I signed up for. I have no idea what the economics of the biz would be but it's bouncing around in my head.
2012-03-03 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

Kind of a similar idea to this: http://www.mispeedway.com/Get-Tickets/Event-Ticket-Insurance.aspx

But that does it for sports tickets instead of entry fees

2012-03-03 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Some US tris are offering race insurance. Sometimes it comes with registration and others it is an additional fee. It isn't for canceled events but if you are sick or injured.

Downside it just covers race entrance and you need to see a doctor within 3 days of the race to get a note. You are sick or injured and to get your race fee back $150 you need to get in to a doctor and pay for office visit or co pay. From what I read does not cover other travel expenses.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance Race Insurance Rss Feed