General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family Racing
Total Time = 1h 22m 10s
Overall Rank = 51/95
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/09
Pre-race routine:

Started the morning like any other - with a double espresso. Whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and a bite of a Cliff protein bar to eat. MC Hammer and Salt N Pepa old school jams on the ride to Scottsdale. Racked my bike - there was already a crowd - but the beams were a bit low and my bike kept falling over. GU 15 minutes before swim.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, careful jog in flip-flops, admiring all the nicer bikes than mine.
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

They had us line up by race number in the water. Not a big deal, but it made for a high-traffic serpentine swim. I typically pass people even when lined up by time, but during the "mini" sprint I counted 9 people in a lane at one time. Looking forward to my first OWS tri in April! Felt good on the swim, though couldn't really get a good rhythm - I kept bumping into people's feet and traffic jams at the walls and exit shaved a few seconds off my time. Other than that, I stayed to the right and passed on the left.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot - people were polite and if I tapped their ankles or asked to pass at a wall they usually obliged. Just wish I had more space to get in a groove.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure about my transition times, as T1 and T2 are rolled up into the bike ride. Took a while in T1, but wanted to make sure I had my sunglasses on instead of swim goggles.

Go faster. Practice my transition at home.
Bike
  • 42m 40s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike, and according to my Garmin averaged 20mph and finished in under 40 minutes. This was the first race I used my new clip-on aero bars and my clipless pedals. Wow, what a difference. But I guess my slow T1 and T2 times were included. I'm pretty sure I was faster than 42:40!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went a little faster in T2. Just threw on the running shoes, visor, and grabbed my water bottle.
Run
  • 30m 27s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Hopped off the bike and felt good, but a bit spent. Probably should have gone with a sports drink with a few carbs on the bike ride instead of just water. Grabbed some HEED on the course which perked me up. Don't think the run was quite 4 miles, so my pace was around 8:40, which is poor. In fact, my slow run dropped me from 3rd to 5th in my age group. Would have been awesome to get a medal!

Do speed drills instead of just long endurance runs. Do more bike/run bricks. Look for swim/bike only events.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bit of a protein bar, sipped water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Have been training for an OLY distance and ignored speed work/drills for the run. Other than that, I think I did quite well.

Last updated: 2012-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 500 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/09
Overall: 32/95
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:40 | 12.6 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/09
Overall: 51/95
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Flat x4 loops
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:27 | 04 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/09
Overall: 60/95
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-05 2:01 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
Subject: JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon Rss Feed