Scenic City Multisport Events
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 3/85
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was the first competitor to arrive at the race site. That's good! Got my bike together and in the best transition spot.
Had a scoop of whey protein in water about 2 hours pre-race.
Event warmup:

Warmup consisted only of running. Ran around a little bit here and there interspersed with walking and very mild stretching. More warmup would have been good and some cycling warmup first would have been better.
Run
  • 12m 13s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was still in visual contact of the race leader. I was surprised at how well I ran and how well I managed the pace. I was breathing deep and slow throughout and surprised myself with how I ran.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 11s
Comments:

Opted not to leave shoes on the bike. There was only about 15 yards of grass to cover before mounting. On the bike there was a steep down, a steep up, then speed bumps....I needed to have my shoes on right away so I could bunnyhop the speed bumps.
Pretty sure the splits are wrong. My first run was faster and T1 was slower than listed.

If left pedal had been forward I could have stepped on it and swung over. But I didn't think ahead.
Bike
  • 26m 35s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I came off the bike in 2nd place. This was my first race on my zipp wheels. The 808 FC front wheel had a mind of it's own in the wind. It wasn't scary, but got my attention. But I'm not likely to race in wind like this again. And if I were I can always use my HED 60 instead.

This was my first time on my TT bike this year and since changing the stem and wheels. That's OK, I didn't plan to make this race that important, but I was definitely limited a lot on the bike because I was not in shape for this position. Hamstrings and Glutes burned and severely limited my power output.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Dismounting in my shoes is something I haven't practiced! I had a moment of fear as I realized that I was jumping off a moving bike with shoes on and clipped in! But it went OK.
My fingers were so cold they wouldn't work. I literally could not get my helmet unbuckled and had to ask for help from a race worker! I also had trouble getting my shoes off/on due to the numb fingers. Overall lost about 10 seconds.

Wear gloves on the bike!!!!
Run
  • 12m 43s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I realized as I was running in 2nd place OA and thinking of catching the leader, that in duathlon that person has already proven to be a better runner, so how can I expect to catch him?
Then, I noticed I was closing the gap and thought about the fact that running AFTER the bike is so different it's almost a 2nd sport.
Ultimately I did not catch him, and 3rd place came around me to ultimately win. This time the legs felt very different. At first, strides were too short. A STEEP downhill early on became precarious with my legs fatigued...but from that point on they weren't a factor. I actually succeeded in regaining some of my first-run form (in terms of stride)

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My biking was poor. The new lower position may be too aggressive, or I just need mileage to adapt. We will see. But I'm in great shape and noticed that I wasn't challenged aerobically on the bike, just muscularly...which I take as a good sign.

Event comments:

Race was small. organization so so. Friendly group of people and participants.

So many screwed up splits that I can't trust any times except perhaps the finish times. Probably due in part from people discarding clothing in transition. Clothing had race number....race number had transponder..

But other problems existed too. My first run and T1 times are wrong. But the total of the 2 seems right.

Last updated: 2012-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:13 | 02 miles | 06m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 7/85
Performance: Good
Course: I hadn't seen the run course prior to the race. it was hilly and twisting but fun. The hills weren't extreme by my standards but there was a climb at the end that was notably steep.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:11
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:26:35 | 9.3 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Overall: 3/85
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course was shortened because a section of road was dangerous due to storm cleanup operations. The section that remained was good pavement with rolling hills. It was windy. Very windy for this part of the country and that time of morning.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:12:43 | 02 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 4/85
Performance: Good
Course: Same course as the first run. Pleased with the delta between this run and the first one. Not too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2012-03-12 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Booker T Duathlon

2012-03-14 4:32 AM
in reply to: #4091921

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Booker T Duathlon

Another stellar race for you.  I'd take a top 3 finish anytime.  I am pretty sure a 12:00 2 miles would have exploded me before getting on the bike though.

I know what you mean by the numb fingers too, I've been there many times, mostly at work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Booker T Duathlon Rss Feed