General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change out tires or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-13 4:51 PM

Subject: change out tires or not?
hey guys, i'm training for my 1st sprint tri and already own just a basic mountain bike.  don't want to make the big puchase for a race bike but thought about at least switching out my tires to road tires.  went to LBS today to ask some questions.  guy there said it won't improve my speed much by just changing out the tires; to really see a difference i'd really need to buy a whole new bike.  was he just trying to get an $800 purchase out of me?!  for my 1st (and maybe only???) sprint tri should i even fool with changing the tires or should i just go out there w/ my trusty ol' schwinn as is?

2012-03-13 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4094816

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: change out tires or not?

if you have the usual grippy MTB tires, you will benefit from throwing some smooth commuter tires on there.

I did that for my first few sprints and it worked well.

One to check out is Maxxis Overdrive. They are bomb proof and roll nice.

Edited by metafizx 2012-03-13 4:57 PM
2012-03-13 5:00 PM

the tires aren't overly grippy like a lot of mountain bike tires i see, if that makes any sense.  only 2 wks into training and i avg. about 52 mins to ride 10 miles on the mtn bike on the road that has a good bit of hills.  i know there are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to speed, but how is this time for riding that distance??  i have a good concept of pace/speed when running but still trying to figure it out for riding....
2012-03-13 5:04 PM

User image

San Diego, CA

You may get some benefit out of the smoother tires but if you are unsure if you will ever do another tri why would you spend the extra money (even the minor amount the tires would cost) on the race? 

What you should really be asking yourself is if you are looking for ways to go faster during your race, are you really only going to do 1 race??  Judging by the fact that you are posting this question I would say you are practically hooked already!  I would save the $50 on the new tires and put that towards your race bike purchase you will be asking for advice on after you finish your first race. Wink

Good luck in your first race!  Enjoy it, it's the only time you are guaranteed to PR!

2012-03-13 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4094824

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

starfoxy - 2012-03-14 12:00 PM the tires aren't overly grippy like a lot of mountain bike tires i see, if that makes any sense.  only 2 wks into training and i avg. about 52 mins to ride 10 miles on the mtn bike on the road that has a good bit of hills.  i know there are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to speed, but how is this time for riding that distance??  i have a good concept of pace/speed when running but still trying to figure it out for riding....

what is the elevation profile of the race you are training for ?

hard to say how you are doing because I don't know what kind of hills you are dealing with.

I wouldn't worry too much with only 2 weeks into the training. Just stick with the plan...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change out tires or not? Rss Feed