Ironhead Race Productions
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 31s
Overall Rank = 51/209
Age Group = 45/49
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

It's always a drive someplace, fast food breakfast, early set up. I love being the first to get a rack, get acclimated to the scene, Get set up, when the life guards are in place-swim a little
Event warmup:

about 200 yards swimming before ordered out to stand in the cold wind, wet for the pre-race meeting
Swim
  • 09m 57s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

What do I have to do to get a good swim. It could be my top, perhaps I should try a 1 pc. I also swim in a yard pool not meters so maybe I have misjudged my own speed. Passed about 3 times,, also passed a couple of swimmers
What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim harder. I was trying to stay calm and save it for the rest of the race. It seemed to take forever too. I don't do well wit the turn and dive under the ropes method
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I just put my shoes on, skipped the shoes in peds method until I get tri shoes. T-1 went ok, could have been quicker-wasn't as long a run this time out of the pool as others.

I think it went ok. I hate having to wear the race belt on the bike-what's the point of bike numbers and body marking? Adds some extra seconds fumbling with that before I can run withe the bike
Bike
  • 41m 44s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

My computer gave me an avg speed in the 18's, it also gave me a longer bike split so the actual course distance is in doubt. I don't know if I went too hard outbound taking advantage of the tail wind-I never got my HR down below the LTHR, or if this is the best I have currently or what-my run suffered so it is possible I blew it on the bike. Chasing a 20 mp avg speed for a race split may have burned me

Maybe give myself 2-3 miles to bring my hr back in control.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I do well with T-2, getting my feet out of the shoes entering the TA and coasting in on one pedal comes easily to me. They were asking ppl to rack their bikes by the handle bars because of the wind, i wasted a few seconds trying that and gave up, mine won't do that

Rack my bike my way. I had an end spot so the wind wasn't an issue, I could just brace the bike against the a frame.
Run
  • 25m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I have been running well off the bike in training BUT-I always do a ten minute easy spin at the end of the workout and turn in really good rune, this time I hammered all the way and struggled to get my legs under until the second lap. I didn't keep mile splits because I thought it was going to be a short course.

A few more real bricks in the weeks leading to a sprint
Post race
Warm down:

Change clothes, hang out

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate to blame my equipment since this isn't golf but it is probably time to get a tri bike if I can. I run fairly meaty road tires on my Lightspeed. I'm strong on that bike but probably ill-equipped. I was looking for a 1:15 TO 1:10 for this race-that would have put me up to fourth. Not sure what I gotta do to have some success in this sport. I am moving up the rankings and this was a training race. Upgrade my bike-solve the swim puzzle, get a tri suit, ride a little smarter and I might get there.

Event comments:

I give Jack Weis praise for getting the swim start right and having volunteers monitor athletes numbers so that we pretty much started in order based on swim times. That was a plus, not waiting over an hour for my start was a nice bonus too.

Last updated: 2011-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:57 | 400 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 124/209
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Pool-snake swim seeded by predicted swim time. Nice pool facility in Denton, looks new
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:44 | 12.43 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Overall: 45/209
Outbound held a comfortable average of 21-22 mph but my heart rate stayed in the 150's+ Coming back I kept the avg in the 20mph range until the last mile or so where the road tilted up and directly into the south wind that had picked up when the temperatures warmed. 15-22 according to NWS
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back, return leg into the wind
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:39 | 03.11 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Overall: 58/209
Hit mile 1 at about 8:16. They announced the run was only 2.8, but I passed a 3 mile marker before turning toward the finishing banner-not sure what's up with their measurements.
Course: a 2 loop out and back, flat course, closed street.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-18 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: Mean Green Triathlon

2012-03-21 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4101559

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: Mean Green Triathlon
Solid race, man. I don't see what's below average about it...
2012-03-21 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4106950

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Mean Green Triathlon

kickitinok - 2012-03-21 2:27 PM Solid race, man. I don't see what's below average about it...

Thanks, I am basing that on my decision making on the bike not taking the time to get my HR down below 148 and the spill over to my run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mean Green Triathlon Rss Feed