United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had signed up for this race last year, but a foot injury prevented me from running. When registration opened last fall, I jumped at the chance to give it another shot. About a week later, a knee injury (tendonitis/bursitis overuse injury) sidelined me for nearly 2 months, so doing this race was in doubt as recently as a few weeks ago. With some great encouragement from my BT mentor group, and some good advise, it was obvious I had to go out and finish my first half marathon!

I've been training for a HIM since January, and my running came back nicely, althought I was (am) highly paranoid about reinjuring my knee. So for this race, I adopted the Galloway run/walk method, and planned on a 9/1 ratio of run/walk.

For race day, I was up at 5:30, had a breakfast of whole wheat toast with jelly, some coffee, a banana, and started working on some water and Gatorade. Had to pick up my registration packet prerace, so I made the 20 minute drive to the race site. Registrion was running behind on set up, but after a wait, I had everything ready to go by 8 AM, giving me an hour to kill befor the start
Event warmup:

Not much, other than some light stretching, needing to use the bathroom about 20 times, and trying not to think too much about how I was about to go out and try to run 13 miles for the first time.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The first half of the race seemed to go by quickly. I was feeling great, and really enjoying the heck out of the day. The 9/1 pacing was working well, and when the mile 7 marker came up, I was thrilled to see I was more than halfway there.

After we turned away from the water and back toward the center of town, it started to warm up. The sun, combined with my forgetting to wear a hat made my head warm up a bit too much, and I ended up with a sunburn to boot. Once past mile 10, there was one last hill, and it was a less than fun time. At the top, you made a right turn, and found out quickly the hill kept going up. Oy.

Once past that, I kept on going, and was feeling like it was the longest mile I'd run ever. No way I had slowed down that much. I finally asked someone next to me if we'd passed the mile 11 marker. "Yeah, it was way back there!". Was that ever good news! It gave me a very temporary boost. By now the heat was increasing, and I was just looking for the finish. Mile 11 to 12.5 were tough - just kept moving forward, knowing I was going to finish, and the line was nearby.

Entered the center of town, and had about 1/2 mile to go. Passing the 13 mile marker you could see the finish dead ahead - and downhill. I decided to make a sprint of it, but after about 100 yards, my legs felt like 2 pieces of rubber over which I had no control. Decided to back it off, and cruised into the finsh, with a fist pump or two, and feeling good
What would you do differently?:

For my first half, I wouldn't change anything. My goal today was simple -- finish the race. No time expectations, etc. Just get there, run, have fun, and finish healthy. Mission accomplished.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, had some water, a banana, and rested a bit. I was tired! Totally forgot about all the post race food, and just went home. Temp was about 15 degrees higher at the finish than when we started. Weighed myself at home and saw I lost about 5 pounds during the race. Drank lots of fluids the rest of the day.

Event comments:

I'd do this race again. On course organization was great. Beautiful scenery, lots of folks out supporting. Good time.

Last updated: 2012-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Started near the center of town, and by mile 1 made its way out to the shore where the first half of the race was along the bay. After about mile 8 it would its way back inland, and finished where we started. A couple of big hills - one at mile 5, the other at mile 11. The one at 11 was like a cruel joke. Finish was downhill. Great job by race organizers and local police on keeping the course car free, organized, and safe.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-19 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Half of Quincy Half Marathon

2012-03-19 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4102406

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Half of Quincy Half Marathon
Great job Mike! Glad the run/walk worked out - and no injury issues. And now...you know you can complete the distance come June.
2012-03-19 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Brilliant Mike, many congratulations and glad the run/walk worked so well.  What a confidence boost for the HIM, goodonya mate.
2012-03-19 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Monticello, Virginia
Way to go Mike! Can't say that enough. Any pictures to post for your mentor pals?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half of Quincy Half Marathon Rss Feed