TMBRA
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 46m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 16/27
Event warmup:

Took the trainer and the fixed gear and did about a 20min easy spin with 3 short hard intervals thrown in there. Had a about a half of a pb&j and half a powerbar 1 hour prior to race. 30 min prior I drink one serving of EFS electrolyte drink. 15min prior to race I took one gel.
Bike
  • 46m 14s
  • 8.4 miles
  • 10.90 mile/hr
Comments:

What an awesome race. The atmosphere was great. I liked it better than the triathlon scene. The start was a staggard start separated by age group. We were the second group to go. I was in the front of the starting line because my name was one of the first called during roll call. The whistle blew and we took off. I was about in the top 12 heading into the first turn of the start loop. Felt like that was a pretty good position. Passed about 2 people on the start loop and entered the single track in about 10th position. Great start.

The rest of the race was just a suffer fest. Being my first mtb race, I was not sure how to pace myself and I definitely went out way too hard. The last 2 miles I hardly had anything left. I've also only been training for 4 weeks, so I still don't have too much fitness yet. The course was so much fun. There were quite a few creek crossings. They were acutally pretty deep and long. You were riding through the water for at least 3 seconds and then you would pop out and have to go uphill. I had to walk a few of those uphills because it was just way to slippery coming out of the creek. There was still quite a bit of mud on the course.

Overall I had a blast. That was so much fun and a successful first race.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not go out as hard. I went out hard cause I wanted to get good position going into the singletrack. Try to control my pace.
Post race

Last updated: 2012-02-27 12:00 AM
Biking
00:46:14 | 08.4 miles | 10.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/27
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: What a great course. Some nice rollers. Creek crossings. Lots of mud. A few hills that we had to hike.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-03-22 9:55 AM

User image

Bedford
Subject: Solavaca Cat Claw Classic

2012-03-22 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4108188

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Solavaca Cat Claw Classic
Slovaca is a fun course!  Congrats on your 1st MTB race.  So you like the MTB scene better than Tri?  Give Xterra  a shot!  The off-road tri's are very similar in vibe as far as the casual and laid back atmosphere goes but the competition is still there just like the TMBRA races.  Riding and runnin' through the woods is much more fun IMO.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Solavaca Cat Claw Classic Rss Feed