New Roads, Louisiana
United States
Geaux Racing
Total Time = 1h 30m 8s
Overall Rank = 26/187
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

Drove in to BR Friday night and spent the night at a friend's house. Woke up around 430am, ate 1/2 a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Left for New Roads around 5 and got to transition area right when it opened at 6. Picked up packet, set up transition area, and hung out with wife in car until sun came up.
Event warmup:

Went for short ride on bike and swam to first buoy and back before start.
Swim
  • 13m 44s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off pretty fast, trying to move to the front of the pack. Stayed as close to the buoys as possible, made a quick turn and hugged the buoys on the way back. Felt pretty good during the swim, but had no idea what kind of position I was in out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Swim went very well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting wetsuit unzipped and then over the ankles. This was expected being my first race wearing a wetsuit. Can only get more comfortable and quicker - hopefully! Left shoes clipped onto bike, was able to run thru transition and hop on bike smoothly. As soon as you get on the bike, have to peddle up steep hill to get onto main rode. Left bike in low gear and had a little trouble getting up hill especially being tired from swim.

Have bike in higher gear for start of race and practice getting out of wetsuit a little quicker. Overall pretty happy though.
Bike
  • 51m 43s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Once on main rode and up to speed, slipped feet in shoes and tried to keep up with the 3-4 people around me. Was averaging 22mph for first 9-10 miles but just couldn't keep up so backed off and ended with an average of 20.9. Pretty happy with overall bike.

Push just a little harder throughout entire bike. Was trying to save some for the run, but ended up saving a little too much.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Flying dismount, able to run with bike thru transition. Racked bike and got helmet off. Went to put on shoes and feet were covered in gravel. Spent a little more time than I wanted to, trying to get feet somewhat clean.

Wetsuit was covering towel so had nothing to wipe feet on. Plan for having dirty feet and leave room for wiping feet on towel.
Run
  • 22m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Drank a little too much towards the end of the bike and stomach cramps started around mile 1. Other than that, happy with run. Probably could have pushed harder on run had I not been feeling bad from the cramps. Could not have moved up any spots in age group, so ended up not mattering much anyway.

Not drink so much on last 1/4 of bike?
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade, then a coke. First coke in about a month, and it never tasted better. Stretched and waited for the updated results to be posted.

Event comments:

For a smaller race, it was very well put on. I will probably always remember this race and it will probably end up being one of the more special races I'll ever do, being as it was the first race for me to ever place. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect day or a better race!

Last updated: 2012-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:44 | 875 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 26/187
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4 full
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:51:43 | 18 miles | 20.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 47/187
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, pretty rough roads during middle half of bike course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average