Fort Wayne, Indiana
United States
Spiece Fieldhouse
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 3/27
Age Group = None
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was off any kind of routine because this was an indoor sprint race.
Event warmup:

I was not allowed to warm up in the water because they had to keep some lap lanes opened for the club member's, so I used a couple of weight machines to get my shoulders loosened and warm.
Swim
  • 20m
  • 1325 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I forgot to start my watch when they sent us off the wall at the beginning. Part of the reason was the lady next to me was talking to me when the judge was giving the countdown and I just left as soon as he said GO. I should have had a better handle on this and just kind of ignored her a little (I guess????). She was trying to find out if she should let me go ahead of her. It didn't matter because I would have cruised by her in the first several yards.
Since I didn't have a good swim WU, I tried to pace a little slower than I thought I might want to go later. Once I got the first 100 yds. in I kind of increased my pace slightly. The data is showing nearly all (except for the first 100) 25 yd. lengths at :22.? with 7 lengths at :23.? and an average for the race that seemed to fit my goals.
I lapped the lady in the lane with me t least 7 times. Whenever we got to the wall at similar times I did open turns to keep from getting tangled up. We kind of beat each other up a few times by smacking our hands together as we passed each other.
After the swim I had a few minutes to think about the swim and figured I was in a zone close to what I would have expected but I may have had a just a little bit more left than I should have knowing I had a 10 minute recovery time before the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Started my watch as soon as the race started. I might have been able to go a little harder toward the end and gotten another 25 yards.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

This was a fixed transition time. Each person had the same amount to change their clothes and get to the Peloton Center.
I had all kinds of time to do what I needed to do.
Bike
  • 20m
  • 7.66 miles
  • 22.98 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a solid ride! I knew I would have 5 minutes to recover from the ride prior to getting on the treadmill to run so ignored what I would normally plan to preserve something for my legs.
They had put everyone's bike in the same gear which was considerate of them but I needed a lower gear to get started because I still have some fine tuning to do after changing the chain and tweaking the derailleurs. Anyway, I began kind of like I would if it were a MLSS test. The first 3-4 minutes was hard but then I tried to nail it a little more. I spent time in both hard and very hard zones and I would say that I was 50/50 here.
For the final 1:30 I dropped my workload a little so I could begin my recovery and allow my legs to get a little bit of a break before the run. I was still running 23.5 MPH in the "easy" zone with a cadence of 93-95 RPM's.

I should have thought a little better about the recovery time I had between the bike and run. I should have went hard all the way through. I actually think this might have been enough to drop me to third place overall, but more on that in the final comments.
I should have went HARD to the end!!
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

This was a fixed transition time. Each person had the same amount of time to get to the treadmills.
I had all kinds of time to do what I needed to do.
Run
  • 20m
  • 3.06 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the race at just under a 7 minute mile pace but quickly recognized that was too slow. I increased the pace several times throughout the race a couple of tenths of a MPH at a time. I did this several times.
I underestimated my ability to run hard on the treadmill for this race. The AC was set low enough to really make things much more comfortable to run in. As I approached 8-9 minutes in, I could tell I could increase my pace more than I thought I might have been able to handle in the beginning. I increased my pace again and settled in around a 6:30 pace for the next several minutes. Again with about 5 minutes left in the race I decided to increase speed yet again with another plan to got harder still with 2 minutes left. Once I hit 2 minutes left I went up to 10MPH for a speed. This is where I should have been much sooner! I am certain I could have held that pace for at least 5 minutes.

I would have run harder sooner! I should have run this race more like I would run a normal outdoor sprint........Almost with reckless abandon. For the sprint races I did last year, I ran with little caution. I didn't consider a lot of pacing strategy, instead I completed the race at full tilt.
I should have planned a little bit. I didn't plan this race at all. Had I planned this race and thought through a few things I would have been better prepared to go all out for all 3 disciplines.
Post race
Warm down:

Panted and sweated profusely! That's all!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the idea of an indoor race kind of threw me off my normal game some. With all the recovery time I was able to get between each event

Event comments:

I am a little hesitant to post this because I hate the idea that I could be labeled a complainer BUT.
The swim has me questioning the person who counted my laps. Here's what I know! I didn't start my watch until I started the lap to go toward the 125 yard wall. After the race I checked the data and I swam, according to Garmin, 1225 yards in 18:55. I have myself convinced that I started my watch when I left the wall after I hit 100 yards.
I have a couple of questions that I cannot reconcile in my mind:
1. Can I swim 100 yards in a racing situation in 1:05? WOW! If I can.
2. If I started my watch at the 50 yard mark would it have been enough to catch the 2nd place finisher?
There was a small enough gap between 2nd and 3rd that if I had gotten credit for 1325 yards instead of the 1225 they credited me with, i would have gotten second place.
Either way, if I would have pushed completely through the bike and pushed sooner on the run I know I would have moved into second place.
The loss of second place is totally on me!!! I could have performed better and I know it. I simply didn't prepare for this race the way I would have normally. Put me in the field and I think I could have been better prepared and much more on my game.
No matter the placement because I got a heck of a nice Finis Swimsense watch..........FOR FREE!!!
Results link: http://3riversrunning.com/media/67ae4590466601e1ffff8060ffffe415.pd...

Updated to include the power data used during the cycling portion of this ride.
My power average for the entire ride was 270 watts.
The peak wattage was 310 as I recall. There may have been several peaks but this is the one that I remember.

Last updated: 2012-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:00 | 1325 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 3/27
Performance:
Avg Pace: 1:30 Best Pace: 1:13 Avg SWOLF: 33 Best SWOLF: 25 Avg Efficiency: 36 Best Efficiency: 27
Suit:
Course: Lap lanes shared with 1 other lady.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:20:00 | 07.66 miles | 22.98 mile/hr
Overall: 0/27
Performance: Average
Avg. HR: 161 Max HR: 171 I was pouring sweat during this segment. they had fans on us but it was still very hot
Wind:
Course: This was an indoor ride on compu-trainers. This was VERY nice because it was the first time I have ever seen what kind of wattage I can produce. According to the computer I averaged 270 watts and peaked at 310. I guess that's good?
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 03.06 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 0/27
Performance:
Avg. HR: 144 (Huh???) Max HR: 172 I guess I started with a much lower HR than I thought and then dragging mt HR to a 144 avg. proved a little harder than I guess I thought.
Course: Treadmill.......Very nice treadmill! Very comfortable to run on!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-03-25 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Tri-Force

2012-03-27 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4112407

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Tri-Force
Wow...this is a very impressive first race of the season Dirk!  Your swim is strong...if you can hold that for your HIM you'll be up there in front for sure.  The bike wattage is also pretty good.  You pushed about 3.8 watts/kg.  The guys winning our indoor time trials are around 4.1-4.2.  My best effort so far on an ftp test has been just over that 3.8, so you probably could have bettered that at the end of your bike leg like you said.  Awesome!  And you're stupid fast on a treadmill.  Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Force Rss Feed