World Compassion Network
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 14s
Overall Rank = 78/486
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/31
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of oats and part of a banana. Had to get my daughter to track at 9:30 and the race started at 10 so we stopped at the race site first to pick up my bib #. Then I took her on to the school, rushed back and was pleasantly surprised to find one last parking spot close to the start. Yeah for the little things. :)
Event warmup:

Felt a bit rushed to do a warm up but got about a half mile done before they called for the prerace meeting and prayer. Being a local race I usually spend time chatting with folks but not this time.
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.1 kms
  • 08m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Placed myself about right for taking off and didn't have to zigzag. This is the 4th year for the race and it's the 4th time they've had a different course. They changed it at the last minute due to traffic for another event in this small town. There weren't any mile markers and I don't have a GPS watch so no idea how I was pacing. In the haste of the morning forgot to bring my Oakley thumps so it was the first road race I've done without music. About half way in I started getting a side stitch so worked on regulating my breathing. That's not happened in a race for me so I don't know what that was about. The run itself was uneventful and I found myself not fully engaged in the race.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe forgo this race altogether next year. I've done it each year to help kickstart my race season even in the midst of tax season. Although I wanted to do well my mind wasn't set to push it.
Post race
Warm down:

I spoke with a couple people, got a drink at my car and ran another lap of the course since I needed to get more miles in before my ultra in a few weeks. Unfortunately my right knee started giving me pain close to mile 6 so I gently walked back to the race site. Can't figure what's wrong with it so I need to do some research. Only waited about 5 minutes until they handed out awards and they did it quickly. I reconnected with a friend I knew from college who came in second in my AG so that was a nice ending to the morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For this race it was mental. Whether it was the hurried morning with my daughter or tax season burdens, I just wasn't passionately engaged to really race today.

Event comments:

World Compassion is a good cause to promote so I'm glad to have contributed.

Last updated: 2012-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:14 | 03.1 kms | 08m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 1/31
Overall: 78/486
Performance: Average
Course: Flat with a couple very small rollers on the heritage trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-03-25 8:49 PM

User image

Subject: Run for Hunger 5K

2012-03-26 4:34 AM
in reply to: #4112574

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Run for Hunger 5K

Very nice race Brenda.  And who says you're not fast? 

1st place in your age group, in my opinion, is always going to be a pretty big deal.

Oh yeah, the last close paring space was pretty nice too.

2012-03-26 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Brenda - I've experienced a similar thing before; sometimes even when your head isn't in it you can still have a good race.  I know you may feel like you could have done better, but I can tell you there are 30 other ladies in your age group who would love to run at the pace you did.

A race like this might just help you better appreciate it when you "nail" one in the future.

Good job!

2012-03-26 7:35 PM

User image

Thanks, Dirk and Vero! That made me laugh, Vero.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for Hunger 5K Rss Feed