Age Group Rank = 13/
Event warmup:

High step, butt kicks, leg swings, jogged a 1/4 mile to the starting line
Run
  • 22m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Start was very crowded. I started mid-pacl and did a lot of weaving in and out and trying not to cut in front of people. Felt great at the beginning. After about the first mile marker, though, dark thoughts crept in like how am I going to run a half marathon and who will I do the 10K in this summer's Olympic tri. Most discomfort was in my midsection. Stomach muscles were engaged nearly the whole race due to the twisting course and the uneven footing. After the first mile, runners got spread out in small groups and eventually in a single-file line. It was heartening to see the people behind me on the other side of a barrier during the switchback sections of the course. Was really hurting toward the middle of mile 3, and then I hit the pavement and there was a guy saying the finish was just ahead. Then I heard the crowd cheering, and there was a photographer and DJ playing music. So I was able to generate a decent kick to the end.

Splits:
7:03
6:47
7:49
0:47
What would you do differently?:

Eat a gel or small snack closer to race time.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down, walked around, drank water, stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Core strength, nutrition

Event comments:

I don't have a lot of races to compare this to, but I thought it was well run and nicely organized. Post-race consisted of pizza, oranges, water bottles, and smiley cookies set up in a congested hallway where people were coming in and leaving. That could have been located somewhere else.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:26 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/
Overall: 95/611
Performance: Good
Mile 1 7:03 Mile 2 6:47 Mile 3 7:49 Mile .1 0:47
Course: Twisting course inside a limestone mine. Beginning and end are paved. The majority of the race is on packed dirt. Looks like they brought in gravel to fill in low spots. Gravel was mostly packed down, but was sometimes loose. Had to be careful near walls where there were often loose stones that had fallen. Course was well marked with police tape and cardboard arrow signs. There were large digital clocks at each miles one and two and at the end. There were some slight grades, but mostly flat. The route was very wide, so it was important to keep a nice line and stay close to the inside corners. It was pretty dark and desolate towards the middle of the race. At the beginning it was fun looking into caverns that held RVs, boats, those trailers they have at carnivals. One thing you usually don't have to watch out was tow hitches. every vehicle was parked with its hitch out. Sometimes there was a cone near it, but not always.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes