General Discussion Triathlon Talk » adamo road saddle questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-28 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: adamo road saddle questions

I recently purchased the adamo road saddle for my p2 as I have having tingling and numbness with the stock seat.  I love the design and how it disperses the pressure into different areas.  It has cured my numbness and tingling so that is a major bonus.  For the people (male or female) riding with the same seat, how long did it take you to adjust?  While I am not having any numbess in the sensitive areas, I do feel some soreness on the very top inside of my thighs.  I even feel like my right leg is having some numbess all the way down to my feet and it seems to be caused by the inside of my extreme upper right thigh bearing the weight when I sit.  My sit bones are a little sore and I can feel the pressure on them when I sit up but in aero position my sit bones are not really holding my weight.  Do I need to keep adjusting the seat position or just ride a few more times to get used to the new pressures?

2012-03-28 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4116700

Regular
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: adamo road saddle questions

It sounds like the adamo has merely shifted the numbness from one place to the other. A numb leg is not good. When I got a new saddle (the adamo, time trial) I set up an apt. with my fitter and we put a couple of saddles on. I liked the Adamo the best (well except for the price tag ).

Keep in mind that just because people rave about the Adamo doesn;t mean that it is the one stop cure for everyone. I can definitely say that if you have bigger thighs there is a strong chance that the split nose would put pressure there.

Choosing the right saddle can often be a costly venture. Maybe go talk to a fitter at a bike store and see what he/she has to say. The Adamo needs to be positioned correctly for it to function properly also.

2012-03-28 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In

When I first received mine it took away the numbness I had and that was a plus. My sit bones on the other had hurt for the first few weeks. Now I am used to it and have had no issues.

I never experienced the leg numbness.

2012-03-28 9:51 AM

User image

I hear ya on the soreness (but not numbness, big difference) on the top-inside of your thighs.  The nose is a bit wider than other saddles I've noticed, and put a bit of pressure there initially when I was breaking myself in.  Same with the sit bones.  It didn't take too long to get used to it, few months maybe, could be less if you ride hard (I switched up bikes with different saddles on my trainer so it wasn't even consistent).  At the end of the day, now there's ZERO numbness where it truly counts and my future children will thank me.
2012-03-28 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

For me it took a bit of time in the saddle for my sit bones to HTFU.  

As to the insides of my legs, I had to position the nose slightly off center.  Now that I've moved the saddle to my Trek SC I can't position the nose off center, so I had to zip-tie the nose to make it not quite as wide.  

Hope this helps. I really love this saddle. 

2012-03-28 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
I just got my adamo saddle for my tri bike, and have ridden it for 4 rides each over 40 miles, with my old saddle there was pain and numbness if I went aero for very long. With the Adamo, it actually feels most comfortable when I'm aero. The caveats though, yes my sit bones are sore, and there is some chafing at the crease of my legs, and I'm hoping some chamois cream will fix that, because overall this is much better than what I was dealing with

2012-03-28 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Similar experience to the folks above. Sit bones took a couple rides to get tough, but ever since, its been great. Mine is on a P2 as well. Great saddle!
2012-03-28 11:18 AM

User image

Master
My guess is you are sitting a little too far back. I would get someone to check it out. You can use a zipp tie to hold the nose together ant it may help. If you make it up to Pickens or Clemson area on your rides I would be happy to look at it. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure it will work out.
2012-03-28 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
I just put an adamo road saddle on my tri bike yesterday to replace my profile design tri saddle. Did a 31 mile ride and then ran and I LOVED the saddle! Totally fixed my numbness issues and I surprisingly didn't have any pain today in the sit bones. Will be doing many more miles but so far I am very happy. Hope you can fix the issues. It does sound like you may be sitting a little too far back.
2012-03-28 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
It took me a couple weeks going 2x/week for my sit bones to adapt.  My Adamo Road is installed on a 2009 Felt Z25.  I have no numbness or soreness problems after the break in period and I'm sure you won't either.  You will love it! =D
2012-03-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4117173

User image

Veteran

thanks for all of the replies.  I think I should clarify a couple of things.  First, I may have lead to an exagerated perception of what is going on.  My entire right leg is not going numb.  I do have soreness in the very upper and inner thighs but I expected this with a new position.  The problem I am trying to describe is what feels like a tightness and tingling in the upper right thigh.  If you do a butterfly stretch while sitting on the ground to stretch the groin, the area on the right side where you feel the stretch most is where the tingling is.  I have only ridden 1 long ride on the saddle (50 miles on Saturday) and I did an easy trainer ride this morning.  Also, I am actually not 100% sure the tightness is coming from the saddle.  I did a 9 mile run last Sunday outside and I could have strained it on the run and not realized it until later that evening when the muscles cooled down.  I was just attributing the tightness to the saddle because it was the most obvious change. 

I may also need to play with the seat fit a little more.  The pain and numbness from the original seat is gone so that is a HUGE bonus.  This pain is much less of a problem than the original issue.  When I sit up on the bike I can literally feel my sit bones holding all of my weight on the seat.  With that said, when I go down into aero position the weight shifts forward and is not squarly on my sit bones as in the upright position.  My sit bones rotate back and up when I go foward into aero like I assumed they should.  Perhaps this is where I am missing it.  Is your weight still squarely on your sit bones when you go into aero or does the pressure shift a bit forward like I am describing? 

2012-03-28 2:55 PM

User image

Have you tried looking at the Adamo site. Just got the Adamo Racing Saddle  and found the information very helpful.

Here's the link.

http://www.ismseat.com/how-fit

2012-03-28 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4117271

User image

clemson05 - 2012-03-28 1:14 PM

thanks for all of the replies.  I think I should clarify a couple of things.  First, I may have lead to an exagerated perception of what is going on.  My entire right leg is not going numb.  I do have soreness in the very upper and inner thighs but I expected this with a new position.  The problem I am trying to describe is what feels like a tightness and tingling in the upper right thigh.  If you do a butterfly stretch while sitting on the ground to stretch the groin, the area on the right side where you feel the stretch most is where the tingling is.  I have only ridden 1 long ride on the saddle (50 miles on Saturday) and I did an easy trainer ride this morning.  Also, I am actually not 100% sure the tightness is coming from the saddle.  I did a 9 mile run last Sunday outside and I could have strained it on the run and not realized it until later that evening when the muscles cooled down.  I was just attributing the tightness to the saddle because it was the most obvious change. 

I may also need to play with the seat fit a little more.  The pain and numbness from the original seat is gone so that is a HUGE bonus.  This pain is much less of a problem than the original issue.  When I sit up on the bike I can literally feel my sit bones holding all of my weight on the seat.  With that said, when I go down into aero position the weight shifts forward and is not squarly on my sit bones as in the upright position.  My sit bones rotate back and up when I go foward into aero like I assumed they should.  Perhaps this is where I am missing it.  Is your weight still squarely on your sit bones when you go into aero or does the pressure shift a bit forward like I am describing? 

I'll let someone who knows more than I do comment, but I was under he impression that if you're seat height etc is dialled in appropriately, your pelvis shouldn't be rocking back and forth (hence, sit bones shifting back and forth).  I suppose you'd have to make a judgement call on that one because I don't know the extent to it based on your description.  In aero my sit bones take some / most of the weight, but definitely less so than when I'm out of aero.  I haven't actually thought much about what I'm resting on in aero except knowing that I'm not riding on my 'important' nerves any more.  I'll admit that when I'm up to speed as well, a lot of the weight is actually taken up through my legs, and this is more obvious when I slow down to a light light spin and I feel a lot more pressure on my saddle.

Again, it doesn't sound like this is an acute problem, so as long as it isn't getting worse, I'd see if it goes away with time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » adamo road saddle questions Rss Feed