New Roads, Louisiana
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Day before started packing and had the truck packed by 10pm but did not sleep well for some reason. I had some of my wife’s dark chocolate late in the evening and I suspect the caffeine kept me up.
Usual breakfast and caught up on some online stuff and headed out. Thanks to an unnamed online mapping software I headed out early as hit said a little over an hour. Once in the truck the Garmin said 55 mins. Ended up there a little early but with a great parking spot but I would have taken the sleep over the spot any day.

Event warmup:

Pumped up the tires, grabbed my stuff and headed off to Transition. I signed up for the race series so I keep the same number throughout and that also means all of my rack mates in this race will be the same in the following races. Did a basic setup, headed off for body markings, and the usual porto stuff. Ran about a ½ mile to warm up the legs which felt good. They were having issues with the buoys staying put but they finally let us in the water. As I was putting on my wetsuit I realized I hadn’t done the usual soaking the night before, oh well, not much I could do about it. Got out into the water and realized I still had my wedding ring on. Back to transition then back in the water.
Swim
  • 17m 10s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the third wave and it wasn’t until the 2nd wave that I realized I forgot to take my planned gel. Okay, no biggie. And we are off! I push the button on the 910xt and tried to swim. I started towards the front and the first 100meters felt like a combat zone but it was fun. I sighted a little more often than usual and kept fairly straight. Never really found myself too far off. The buoys had moved a little but nothing major. For some reason the wetsuit felt tight on the shoulders and felt like I was fighting it. Found a swimmer to almost draft off of and we went almost to the turnaround when he dropped off. Heading back was pretty much the same. Tried to swim until I touched ground but there were too many people and ended up walking early. Hit the lap button to mark the end of the swim. Goggles on head and unzip wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what happened here. I was slower than last year but didn’t feel as worn out. A bit disappointing and I am considering a new wetsuit (or at least soaking my current one before each race).
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Aahh! I am plain dumb sometimes. I was so excited about playing with the 910xt that I put it on the outside of my wetsuit. So I go to peel off the wetsuit and it’s stuck. Push sleeve back thru, take off 910xt, take off wetsuit and then put back on 910xt. Dumb! LOL!
Bike
  • 58m 46s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This race is held at a city called New Roads but their roads are anything but new and some sections with pretty bad roads. Flying mount, got up to speed and slipped my feet in the shoes. Usual slow start, pick up steam and start passing some folks. Got passed more than I passed others but that is normal. I rode with the PT and I am thinking that I am not ready for that in races. Next time will go back to the wheel with the disc cover. About mile 5 the roads got rough. Now the only issue I had was that the strap on the aero bottle gave way on the rough roads and almost just chucked the dang thing (but that would be a violation) so just cupped it in place with my arms. About mile 12 I take a gel and prepare myself for the exit. Down the hill, flying dismount and I am off. Go to push the button on the Garmin and realized I forgot to do it for T1. So now the Garmin has having the world’s longest T1 for a sprint and the world’s fastest 18 mile bike ride as I have to push the button twice to catch up.

No clue what happened here and I averaged about 19.5 last year. Maybe I concentrated way too much on the PT numbers but honestly I thought I was going strong. Could be my training program, don’t know. Time to push the speed work again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

As I push the bike to the rack I realize that I really can’t feel my feet as they are quite cold. Later I hear several others had the same issue. So I rack the bike, lose the helmet, put on socks and shoes (was going to go sockless but decided with numb feet not to), grab my race number I am off. I put my race number on just before exiting transition. Overall time was actually 7 seconds faster than last year. Finally!
Run
  • 26m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Start the run and surprised that my calfs were not tight. A younger woman passes me and she is now my rabbit. I pace her and the Garmin shows first mile is 8:18. Not bad. About the 1.6 mile mark I pass her and find another rabbit. Second mile show 8:08, wow I am moving! Now the surprise comes as mile 3 comes up with an 8:00 mile which is great but I am not that close to the finish line so either the Garmin is off or the course is long. Down the hill, sprint to the end and across the finish line, and I am done!

I really wasn’t pushed that hard on the run and really could have run if faster but was over a minute faster than last year. Now the official race results shows me with an 8:27 pace but the Garmin shows a total length of 3.22 miles and a pace of 8:09. Guess I am going to have to do a standalone 5k to see my true 5k pace.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a training race getting ready for the NOLA HIM. I didn’t really have any goals for it except hopefully beat previous years’ time. I didn’t really taper for it but did shorten my Friday ride to leave my legs fresh. Despite my whining I had a lot of fun but made a lot of minor mistakes.

Last updated: 2011-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:10 | 800 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: OUt and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:46 | 18 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-31 7:51 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: Oxbow Triathlon

2012-03-31 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4122016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Oxbow Triathlon
Nice race report Gary. You finished really strong. You will be ready for new Orleans.
2012-04-06 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4122016

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Oxbow Triathlon
Nice speedy run in your tri Gary!  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oxbow Triathlon Rss Feed