Huntington Baptist Church
41F / 5C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 27s
Overall Rank = 30/196
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/??
Pre-race routine:

Last night I had salad and spaghetti for dinner and then lots of chocolate for dessert.
This morning, I woke up at about 6:30, got around slowly, headed out for the race at about 7:30, and then arrived at 8:15. We checked in at registration, then I had my usual 1.5 bites of banana and a couple of sips of powerade.
My nerves were really bad for this race. I set a goal time of 23 minutes. My confidence was really lacking because I felt like my runs lately had not been feeling as great as I hoped. I didn't think there was any way that I would be under 23, so I was stoked to earn a new PR.
Event warmup:

Ryan and I ran 0.5 miles in the neighborhood across the street. Then, I stretched for about 10-15 minutes before lining up at the start.
Run
  • 21m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Somehow I managed to get right in the perfect spot to start. I didn't have to push my way through the slower people, and I wasn't getting run over by faster people. I felt strong and smooth. I hit the bottom of the big hill just under a mile and tried to keep a consistent pace going up. My watch beeped indicating a mile at the top of it. I didn't get passed or pass anyone, and that was the same on the downhill although I ran it pretty fast. I knew my first mile was fast, but I still felt strong.
I was holding up as the first female. Around 1.5 miles, I heard soft footsteps behind me and knew it was a girl. She went speeding by me, and I did my best to stay right behind her. Her pace seemed to slow down after a few minutes, so I passed her back up and took the lead again. Around 2.5 miles, she stuck her foot out in front of my right foot, and I almost fell.
She passed me up once again and took off. I picked up my pace too. I looked at my watch and it said 2.85 miles. I didn't want to kick too early, (I knew I couldn't sprint a quarter of a mile) so I held back a little bit. I guess I should have given it more at that time because the finish line was at 3.0 miles.

I was ended up as 2nd overall female, just a couple of seconds after the female winner. I was happy with my run and my time.
What would you do differently?:

I would've given my all out just a little earlier. Although I would've liked to have won overall female, I was glad that I had someone to push me to a new PR.
Post race
Warm down:

Ryan and I ran 1 mile around the neighborhood across the street. Probably should've run it slower, but my adrenaline was still flowing like crazy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My left knee is still very sore from the shoes that I just returned. I did wear my Adrenaline 11s today instead of the new pair, but I could still feel some of the pain that the Saucony's had given me.

Also, I haven't really trained at all on hills, so the one pretty decent hill through me off. I tried really hard to remember my days on the hills in Birmingham to remind myself that I had it in me.

Event comments:

I love small races, and this race definitely reminded me why. The people were all very friendly, there was a lot of excitement about race day, and there were some special touches. Post-race refreshments included the usual apples, bananas, oranges, water, but also included homemade cookies from members of the church. They also had several prizes they gave away in drawings.
The one complaint I have about the race is the way that awards were done. They announced the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall winners- the 1st place winners were given a prize. The 2nd and 3rd overall winners got nothing! Then, they gave trophies to the 1st place finisher in each age group and medals to the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in each age group. Very strange how they left out some people who did well. Fortunately for me, the first place female was a high school cross country track runner and could not keep the prize, so I got it! Very nice- a gym bag, running socks, a water bottle, a dry fit shirt, reflective wrist-bands, and a key pouch. Ryan won his age group and got his first trophy!

Last updated: 2012-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:27 | 03.11 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/??
Overall: 30/196
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:17 AHR 170 Mile 2: 7:14 AHR 181 Mile 3: 6:55 AHR 183 Overall AHR: 178
Course: We started through a neighborhood, all flat. Close to a mile in, we hit the "big hill" that everyone was talking about before the race. Shortly after was a big downhill, then most of the rest of the race was flat again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-31 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: Huntington Baptist 5K

2012-03-31 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4122191

User image

Subject: RE: Huntington Baptist 5K
I'm smiling from ear to ear for you, Allison! It just makes me giggle that I'd asked if you were looking to PR this race and you said, laughingly, that no way would you get down to 21. Well, you did it! Super, super impressive!! You netted a lot of prize stuff, too - sweet!

Sounds like the girl intentionally tried to impede your progress and that's too bad. Glad you shook it off and persevered.

Again, I'm just so happy for you and for Ryan and I love that you could share the victory together!
2012-03-31 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Great race Allison! Always great to get the PR!
2012-04-01 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Very simply put.......Awesome!!  You definitely put the time into running to achieve a solid PR and you deserve the bootie that the HS cross country girl wasn't allowed to keep.

I'm glad to hear Ryan did well too.  BUT now that he's seen the wisdom of the "Run easy, run a lot, sometimes hard" mantra here on BT is he going to change his approach?  LOL

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Huntington Baptist 5K Rss Feed