All Community Events
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:40-- 10 minutes later than planned, but just couldn't get out of bed immediately! Once I was up, everything went fine: got dressed, had breakfast and a mouthful or two of tea, then headed out the door to the El to get to the race site. Had to walk almost a mile to get there, so that was a useful warmup. Checked stuff in, hit the portajohn lines, then walked way the heck and gone over to where people at my pace were gathering.
Event warmup:

Walking to the El and the site; some stretching beforehand and moving around to try and stay warm.
Run
  • 2h 30m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

My goals for this were modest: I wanted to finish smiling and uninjured, both of which I easily achieved! Even had plenty in the tank for a kick at the end, and my legs felt fine afterward-- like I'd done a long run, but nothing other than that. Since the last time I'd done a HM I'd felt pretty trashed (and was injured shortly afterward), this was lovely. Kept my HR in Z2 pretty much throughout, and just kept telling myself to run my own race at my own pace-- good practice for the marathon and IM coming up.
What would you do differently?:

Umm...put a portajohn closer to where people at my pace were starting? Seriously, I really did this pretty well: drank water at all the stations, made my way through a gel and a half, felt pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the El to go home-- another mile-ish. Good cooldown; boy, was I ready for a hot shower by the time I got home! (That, and a beer with lunch! :))

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My determination to stay in Z2 and treat this as a fun training run!

Event comments:

It's a good race-- LOTS of people showed up, and they were pretty well organized with lots of cowbell-ringing volunteers. :) I'd do it again next year.

Last updated: 2012-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast-- the race time reflects the fact that I took a pee break early in the race (the portajohns really WERE a long way from where I had to start!). But quite a comfy route-- the lakefront path's popular for a good reason. Felt bad for the occasional cyclist who must've wondered where on earth all the runners came from so early in the morning!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-04-02 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Chi Town Half Marathon

2012-04-04 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4125492

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chi Town Half Marathon
Nice job! It was a great day for a race. I too was very ready for a beer (or two) with lunch later that day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chi Town Half Marathon Rss Feed