United States
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 50m 11s
Overall Rank = 1/44
Age Group = Cat 5
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

forgetting wallet, arriving 15 min until race time, getting my chain stuck in my crank, and finally dislodged 30 seconds before the start, and not getting to the port-o-potty
Event warmup:

none
Bike
  • 50m 11s
  • 19.26 miles
  • 23.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a few morning issues with 1) forgetting my wallet (a first for me) and 2) getting my chain lodged between my chainrings and crank arm. Needed a bit of help and finally yanked it out seconds before the start. So I started at the very back and needed the first two laps just to get to the front. Was up front for the third,10 or 12 back and saw a break just after a sharp curve. I bridged a small gap but caught onto the lead group. I thought there were four of us and one dropped after a minute or two but I could be wrong about that. Three of us took some pulls and tried to keep our distance over the main field and did. One dropped off after trying a little break too far from the line, so two of us remained. We traded pulls then I sat on his wheel until midway up the last little hill and passed him but almost ran out of gas at the line. I held on for the win by maybe a wheel length.

Ok, that's not how it really happened - I didn't really run out of gas. I looked back 20 m from the line and thought I had a large gap. I eased with 5 or 10m to go and got up out of the drops. I didn't have a gap. He came around me and I very nearly got passed. A few meters more and I would have. I am super embarrassed about it. Such a stupid thing to do. Im not sure what I though I saw behind me but it obviously wasn't reality. The ref asked me about it (the other guy covered their view of my bib so he wanted to know it was me), I said I was sorry, it was a big mistake, and that I would be fine if he DQed me for it. He said no, it wasn't DQ worthy but I should perhaps race til the end next time. I said I definitely agree.

So a big learning experience that didn't end up half bad for me.
What would you do differently?:

lots of things...except winning maybe :)
Post race

Last updated: 2012-03-29 12:00 AM
Biking
00:50:11 | 19.26 miles | 23.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/44
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 10 k loops times 3. Rolling
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-04-02 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: Salisbury Road Race

2012-04-02 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4125873

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Salisbury Road Race

Joe-great race to be "just a cyclist".  Need to add a little swim/run or you are going to start talking bad about triathletes Seriously though, great job. Power numbers in your logs look strong!

Randy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salisbury Road Race Rss Feed