General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 13m 8s
Overall Rank = 390/2222
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 61/360
Pre-race routine:

Drove down Friday morning from Dallas. Stopped in The Woodlands for Lunch then made it in to Galveston and Moddy Gardens by 4pm. Got settled in the hotel, checked in and got the race packet, then went out for a nice dinner. Saturday just relaxed by the pool, went to see a few sites and just took life easy. We had an early dinner and I was back in the hotel room getting everything together for Sunday morning. Made my normal bedtime of 9:30pm.

Sunday morning I was up and in the lobby meeting up with some friends at 5am. We went to transition and set up then headed back to the hotel to grab our wetsuits. I woke up the wife and then headed out to get ready since my swim wave was an early one this year.
Event warmup:

Cant swim ahead of time, so I just tried to get the shoulders and arms loose before we jumped in the water to stage for our start
Swim
  • 33m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a good start, no real contact with anyone and got settled into a good groove. About 500yds in my goggles fogged up pretty badly. I wasnt able to sight properly, got off line a few times and had to stop and clear out the goggles. Once I let a little water in them, they were good the rest of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. SOlid swim, a little issue with the goggles but nothing that kept me from performing. Still need more work on sighting and swimming straighter, especially in a crowd
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting the zipper down on the wetsuit but had it down and the wetsuit pulled down to my waist when I got to the strippers. They pulled the wetsuit off and I was up and going again fairly quickly. No issues finding my spot in transition and got my socks, shoes, helmet, etc on really quickly and was off to bike out.

Not much here, except to just move a little quicker. I didnt have any stumbling points that cost me extra time
Bike
  • 2h 43m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Even though the course is falt, it is very tough. The wind is a cross/headwind going out and a cross/tailwind coming back. You cant let up at all during the ride. You have to grind for the entire 56 miles. I was hoping for a better bike split and knew if I was going to hit my goal I was going to have to put out a stellar bike split. I know I was pushing it and that the effort I was putting out on the bike was going to catch up with me

train harder!
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Good transition. Dont feel like I wasted any time here.
Run
  • 1h 51m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out to fast and knew the bike effort was going to catch up with me. I didnt have any heat or GI realted issues I just pushed to ahrd on the bike. The first lap was good, but the 2nd and 3rd laps were pretty tough on the legs. I had rested up the week leading into the race and thought I had enough in me to run a 1:45 but I was scraping the bottom of the tank by the time I got to the last lap of the run.

just need to pace better to match my overall fitness level. The mind wants to go harder than the body can deliver apparently
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and Beer! It doesnt get any better than that

Last updated: 2011-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:08 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/360
Overall: 367/2222
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Pro Sleeveless
Course: Triangle swim course. Probably 700 yards out. 800 yards across, and then 700 back in
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:43:23 | 56 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Overall: 487/2222
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back along the coast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:51:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 530/2222
Performance: Average
Course: 3 loop run around Moody Gardens.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-04 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2012-04-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4129213

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Looks like a well executed race to me, good job! I think the run was tough on everybody.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed