BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Second Wind Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2012-08-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4133662

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: The Second Wind Group - CLOSED

Has this group died??  Does anyone have any races coming up?

I'm still training for my tri in Washington DC next month.  My son's soccer seasons have officially started so along with coaching 2 teams and school starting, things are a bit hectic.  This morning I went to my first ever Masters swim class.  I swam competitively when I was in elementary school, but nothing since.  It's funny...I don't know any of the swim terminology and don't know the rules of engagement for swimming with alot of people. Where I normally swim I generally have a lane to myself.  It went ok, though.

2012-08-14 2:50 PM

Norman, OK
I'm not dead, and I still have 1 race left in my summer.  I have 3.5 weeks until my first HIM.  During that time, i first have to finish healing from my crash last week.  I'm clear to do some light workouts, but no pool and nothing too strenuous.  Hopefully this weekend, i'll get the chance to try out my new clipless pedals, which i've never used before.  My immediate goals are to 1) get healthy, 2) stay healthy, 3) build confidence in clipless pedals, 4) taper, 5) race, 6) relax & recover, 7) get ready for next season.
2012-08-15 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Nope, we are still here stegman.  Glad the recovery is going well and good luck with your upcoming HIM.

I took 2 weeks off to give me some time to recoup.  Been going hard all year.  During that time I went to Iowa for a week on a mission trip leading the youth from our church. 

This morning was my first run and felt 80%.  Covered 4.3 miles.  It was humid, but still good to get back out there.

For me, I have no more triathlons planned this year.  I have the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon on October 21.  I ran this half a couple years ago.  Great, flat course with a huge surf board themed medal. 

Then in January I am running the 20th anniversary Disney Marathon.  Last ran this race 3 years ago.  Look forward to running this one again.  Yesterday RunDisney unveiled the finisher medal.  Nice spinner medal.  Should be a great event with a new course as well.

On the horizon for next summer, last week WTC announced a new Ironman 70.3 that will be here in Raleigh.  It will be on June 2, 2013.  I cannot wait for this.  It is awesome to see the Ironman brand coming to Raleigh.  I am already planning my events next year around this one. 

2012-08-15 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4363947

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

That's awesome news, chick.  Do you know how long in advance WTC announces the IM events?  I've started contemplating a 70.3 event and the KS one is normally around the same time as the Raleigh event.  I had thought that a 70.3 may be unrealistic for me, but since I now have a bike trainer I can put in a lot more saddle time at home during "after dark" hours.

Where abouts in IA were you?

2012-08-15 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

I am not sure how far in advance they announce events.  I had seen a post in another forum topic on BT regarding an agenda for the county here about upcoming events and the 70.3 was listed.  It received complete support and the next day was the official announcement of the event.  Really exciting to have an Ironman branded event here.  Means I can sleep in my own bed before the event.

I was in Dubuque, IA for the trip.  I really enjoyed that part of the country.  I grew up in Chicago and had been as far as Rock Island, but never across the Mississippi into Iowa. 

2012-08-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4364199

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Has anyone here upgraded from the basic BT account?  I'm looking at upgrading either it or my TrainingPeaks account.  They are virtually the same price.  I come to BT for lots of interactive advice and try to update my training logs so people can see them when I ask questions, however I actually spend more time in TrainingPeaks since that is where Timex by default uploads all of my workout info.

Just curious.  Also, is anyone on here a subscriber to TrainerRoad?

2012-08-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4364199

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Chick, what is your off season training program going to look like?
2012-08-23 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

I am currently in my training for the Disney Marathon in January.  After that, it will right about the time for me to begin my HIM training for the Ironman Raleigh 70.3 race in June.

During my marathon training, I have a half marathon and 5K race.  I also plan to have some time in saddle as time allows and hit the pool a couple days a week.

2012-09-04 9:15 AM

Norman, OK

Well, I have finally made it to my race week.  My first HIM is saturday morning.  I am not as prepared as i'd like to be, but i still believe that I have sufficient training to finish, which is my goal. 

After my bike crash 4 weeks ago, I was not cleared to get into the pool again until this past weekend, so sunday afternoon was my first swim in a month.  Tomorrow evening I'll get in 1 more hour in the pool to try and find my form again. 

My biking is also not where I'd like it to be.  I have not completed a ride longer than 47 miles in my training, so 56 during the race will be a new personal best for me.  Every time that I would set out to do 56+ miles, something would go wrong.  My crash came on what was supposed to be a 60 mile ride.  There was once where I became severly dehydraded and had to quit at 45 miles.  There was another ride where I had mechanical issues and had to stop.  It was becomming increasingly frustrating with every long ride.  However, this last weekend, I rode for 32 miles at a higher average speed than any previous ride i've ever done outside except for my race in june.  I felt great when I finished and could have kept up that pace or even pushed it a little more for a while longer.  Hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

With all of my swimming and biking problems, at least my running has been going well.  I believe that if my hydration and nutrition plans are good on saturday, that i'll be able to challenge my half-marathon PR of 2:22.

The weather forcast for the race saturday is high in the low 90's with a 60% chance of scattered storms.  It will be very interesting having it rain during the race, but i'm hoping it holds off until I am finished. 

2012-09-04 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Stegaman, good luck on Saturday.  Make sure to hydrate well this week with temps in the 90's for the race.  You will feel that on the bike and then at T2.  Reminds me of my HIM in May.  When I got off the bike it was already in the 90's.  Hydration is key, so drink often on the bike.  Enjoy the day and take it all in as it will be a great experience! 

I will be praying for you!

2012-09-08 5:54 PM

Norman, OK
I finished my half ironman this afternoon. 6:58:54 was my total time, but the bike course was a mile short due to road construction. Race report will come later.

2012-09-10 9:53 AM

Norman, OK

I have finished my race report.  It wouldn't let me attach a link, so you'll just have to search for it.  The race I ran was the PrairieMan half Ironman triathlon.

2012-09-18 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

I finished my tri in D.C. last week and then took a week long vacation with the family.  I think my season is over.

I finished in 2:46.  I was real pleased with my run time averaging about 8:20 per mile.  That was pretty quick for me.  Here's the report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=460274

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Second Wind Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13