United States
Colorado Springs Cycling Club
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 21m 30s
Overall Rank = 1/100000
Age Group = M:35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/100000
Pre-race routine:

This wasn't a "race". It's billed as a tour, so there weren't any rankings. You just rode the distance you wanted to ride. For me, that was 100 miles.
Event warmup:

I got up about 5:45am, showered, got some bananas and a couple of muffins and headed to the race site. I arrived about 6:30 and started getting ready. The ride was supposed to start at 7:00 for the 100 milers, but I saw several people taking off, so there wasn't an official start, which was kind of odd for me, but whatever.

It was a little cold, so I decided to use my arm-warmers, which was a first for me. So, as I'm pulling on my left one, my hand slips off and I basically punched myself in the nose. The guy next to me sees it, doesn't want to laugh, but I start laughing so he does too. And, it made my nose bleed for a few minutes. Pretty funny. I got the bleeding stopped and made my way to the "start".
Bike
  • 6h 21m 30s
  • 100 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

The "scenic rolling rills of Turquiose Lake Road" weren't exactly what I would call rolling. It was just a long, steady (and steep) climb. I messed up before I left home and grabbed the wrong rear-wheel...the one with my 11-21 cog instead of my climbing 12-25. Nice. I don't ride a triple chain-ring, so I rely on my cogset for climbs or flats. My legs were pretty trahsed on the loop around the lake (mile 30 - 50), but then I was cruising on the ride back to the start. The course was definitely harder than I expected, but it was still great. I could have done without the headwind in the inital 30 miles, but it was nice on the way home. No offense to the roadies on this site, but I've determined that roadies are a bunch of pansies...at least the amatuer ones. I don't know if these guys could ride 100 miles without drafting off someone the entire time. I mean really, what's the point? If you can't do it on your own, why bother? (Please note, I'm using my sarcastic font, I still love all you roadies on this site.) Actually, what got under my skin was the fact that people would draft me but (1), not tell me they were there, thereby startling me when I'd look back and (2) would never take a pull, even when I basically slowed down to under 10mph. C'mon folks...pass me or take your turn. Sheesh! :) I was happy that my average was 15+ mph. With the amount of climbing I was suprised it was that high.
What would you do differently?:

Bring a different cog set. Not punch myself in the nose prior to the start (although it was nice to give some humor to those around me).
Post race
Warm down:

Fat Tire Ale (just one, with my lunch since I had to drive back to Colorado Springs)! MMMMMMMMM.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weak a$$ climbing? I found out that I can descend like a scalded cat, but it's clear that I can't climb...STILL. Two years in Colorado and I still get beat up going uphill.

Event comments:

This is definitely a good training ride. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Next year, I'll be better prepared for the course.

Last updated: 2006-02-14 12:00 AM
Biking
06:21:30 | 100 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/100000
Overall: 100000/100000
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The beautiful BVBF century route goes North to Leadville, along the scenic rolling hills of Turquoise Lake Road, around the Mineral Belt Trail passing aspen groves and conifer forests, meandering through the historic Leadville Mining District, and back to Buena Vista in the shadows of Colorado’s highest mountain peaks. Nearly all of the climbing is completed over the first 60 miles of the ride, with the last 40 miles essentially downhill to flat! Riders also have options to take shorter routes including a 40 miler, a 50 miler, and a “metric century” (62 miles) while still enjoying the Collegiate Peaks’ magnificent scenery.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Subject: Buena Vista Bike Fest

2006-05-22 1:19 PM
in reply to: #430301

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Buena Vista Bike Fest
Holy crap, "rolling hills" at Turquoise Lake?  not!  nice work on the ride! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buena Vista Bike Fest Rss Feed