General Discussion Race Reports! » Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Chris picked me up at 6:45 I ate a banana and luna bar on the way to the stadium. He was bouncing off the walls with excitement and couldn't quite understand my overwhelming sense of "What The Heck Was I Thinking? I'm Not A Runner". His enthusiasm was contagious and eventually I started getting in the "spirit" of the race.
Event warmup:

Walked half a mile from the car. Found a sunny patch to people watch till our wave was ready.
Run
  • 49m 30s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Out across the Montlake Bridge. I struck up a conversation with another runner as we hit the first bridge. We chatted about racing, and training, and it was a Tremendous help. Gentle up and down hills around the south side of Portage Bay. Continued to chat and thought "I'm still running!" We rounded the last uphill push to the bridge and I finally gave in to a half a block of walking. Then it dawned on me "The bridge is not yet up. The last corner is within sight. I Might Make It!" I changed gears back into jog mode, rounded the bend and heard the cheering. "2 Minutes Till the Bridge Goes Up" I jogged across the metal grating and threw my hands in the air and let out a whoop! I had Beat the Bridge. I let myself ease back to a walk for the uphill stretch after the bridge. I didn't look back when the bells started to sound their warning. (no pillar of salt for me). The route then turned through the UW and back toward the stadium. I had the legs to keep running. Just walking at the water station and one 50 yard stretch within mile #5. I then looked at my watch. I'm halfway through the last mile and I'm at 46 minutes. If I push through the last half mile I could make it in under 50 minutes! Back into gear... my watch flips to 49 minutes at I round the corner into the stadium.... it's all downhill onto the grass and across the finish line. I did it... I ran, and I made a personal best, and I beat the bridge.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a short sleeved top or tank. I was blazing hot by the end, but not about to strip down to a jog bra.
Post race
Warm down:

High Fives to Chris who ran the race in 38 minutes. Photo op for our friends and family. Walked/jogged back to the car. Water, fruit, and phone calls and text messages to my best friends to tell them about me race time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training, training, training.

Event comments:

900 volunteers can't be wrong. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:30 | 04.97 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
"over limit" the whole time, but hey, it's a race.
Course: Rolling hills around south side of Portage Bay, back through UW, along Montlake, in through the SE side of Husky Stadium.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes

2006-05-22 4:04 PM
in reply to: #430323

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-05-22 4:31 PM
in reply to: #430700

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes

oneword - 2006-05-22 1:04 PM Excellent job! And this is quite a well written race report! THUMBS UP!

thanks   Coming from someone with a BA in the mother tongue, that means a lot. 

2006-05-22 6:35 PM

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Way to go!!! Great job! Very inspiring race report.
2006-05-22 6:51 PM
in reply to: #430787

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

HornJM - 2006-05-22 3:35 PM Way to go!!! Great job! Very inspiring race report.

Thank you!  It was an inspiring race...I'm always plagued by doubts, so it was really cool to do so much better than I expected. 

I've been so side tracked by BT and race repots today that I might end up jobless if I don't regain my work focus.  :D

2006-05-29 10:22 AM

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Great race! I'll have to put this race on my list for next year. Sounds like you had a blast! Good job!

2006-05-30 7:55 AM

Crystal Lake, IL

Sounds like a fun race to do - Beat the Bridge.  Talk about added incentive to pick up the pace a little!

Congrats on making it, and making it a good day!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nordstrom Beat the Bridge Event to Beat Diabetes Rss Feed