General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Novice training plan beginning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-14 4:07 PM

Veteran
Subject: Novice training plan beginning
HiI am planing on getting a coach soon but with just 46 weeks till my 1st ever IM , what should my training week look like ? I am happy yo get up very early to trainne etcAny tips would be awesome

2012-04-14 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4150765

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Novice training plan beginning

Providing more information will get you more useful responses.  What is your racing experience?  What has your training looked like in recent months?

Edited by TriMyBest 2012-04-14 5:42 PM
2012-04-14 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4150855

Veteran
TriMyBest - 2012-04-14 11:41 AM

Providing more information will get you more useful responses.  What is your racing experience?  What has your training looked like in recent months?

Sorry more infoOnly just decided to compete so have no real experience , have been a regular gym goer so base fitness is ok , currently just working a game plan Thanks
2012-04-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4150969

Veteran

probably need more info for a real good response like how many hours have you been swimming biking and running per week.  what is your current longest so far in each area?  What's your swim background?

Over the next 15-20 weeks you should build to a minimum of 8 hrs a week, Minimum 3 swims 3 bikes and 3 runs. Long run 1:30 long bike should be 2 hr., long swim should be at 2000 m.  These are the minimum to start your ironman build.  Build up to these by starting where you are at and increasing your volume by no more than 10% a week.  Do one long and two intermediate on the bike and run (IE. 4 hrs bike per week  = 1, 2hr bike and 2, 1 hr bikes)  

The most important thing is consistency over time. be consistent life will happen but your 8 hr week can not consistently become a 4 or 6 hr week.  

Build fitness but not more than a 10 % increase per week or you will start overtraining.

eventually you will be getting to 15-20 hr training weeks but in order to get there, you have to start your build now and gradually increase.

good luck

2012-04-21 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4164244

Veteran
mlanahan - 2012-04-21 2:55 AM

probably need more info for a real good response like how many hours have you been swimming biking and running per week.  what is your current longest so far in each area?  What's your swim background?

Over the next 15-20 weeks you should build to a minimum of 8 hrs a week, Minimum 3 swims 3 bikes and 3 runs. Long run 1:30 long bike should be 2 hr., long swim should be at 2000 m.  These are the minimum to start your ironman build.  Build up to these by starting where you are at and increasing your volume by no more than 10% a week.  Do one long and two intermediate on the bike and run (IE. 4 hrs bike per week  = 1, 2hr bike and 2, 1 hr bikes)  

The most important thing is consistency over time. be consistent life will happen but your 8 hr week can not consistently become a 4 or 6 hr week.  

Build fitness but not more than a 10 % increase per week or you will start overtraining.

eventually you will be getting to 15-20 hr training weeks but in order to get there, you have to start your build now and gradually increase.

good luck

Hi I have no real history on runs bikes rides etc complete novice started this weekmwithnswimming coaching 3 hours 1.5 bike ride and two small swimsSo have 45 weeks to get this unfit guy ironman fit - maybe I should have allowed 2 years to build up
2012-04-22 4:33 AM

User image

Surigao

Dave,

I started to train for a sprint tri using the olympic BT on here. I found it good. The trick was to do the time, and I did the race really well. That was 12mths ago, so if you try to do an Olympic distance, then on to the IM you should be Good. I found that the steps were good. Having done a couple of 1/2 marathons over the previous 2-3 yrs helped. I have to manage a crook back, and rugy knees. You should be OK with your knee. Just don't push and do damage. The 10%increase worked for me, and with learning to swim via U tube, setting a program Leading to my IM in sep, all is going well. You are on the right track. No prbs cobberWink

2012-04-23 5:49 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So you're starting from scratch.... For now you need to just begin building your fitness in swim/bike/run. Sounds like you're getting some swim coaching, so you should be okay there. Begin to build your run and bike. Running is what you'll need to be most cautious with, as you'll probably be itchy to increase your running volume - but you really should take your time here - adding too much running too quickly is where you're most likely to get injured (IMO...). So start easy, 3-4 short, easy runs per week for now, maybe 20-30 min per run. And I mean easy - if you need to walk to make it feel easy, then walk... Gradually add a bit to each of these runs each week, but be prepared to hold steady or back off if anything starts to hurt. Two-three bikes per week for now would probably be fine, maybe an hour or so, and for now just steady moderate intensity effort. You have almost a year to prepare, so take your time now and build a solid foundation. If you want to follow a training plan, you could consider starting with a beginner sprint or olympic distance plan to help you build consistency in training and establish a base level of swim/bike/run fitness for you to work from when you're ready to begin your IM training plan (probably something like 20-24 weeks out from your race).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Novice training plan beginning Rss Feed