United States
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stretches and about 20 min warmup. Garmin died during warmup so took it back to the vehicle.
Run
  • 1h 59m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to break the race into 3 segments – 5 miles, 5 miles, and 5K. Around mile 6, a guy begins talking to me since we were both the same pace. His goal was sub 2 and while I admitted that I’d LOVE to have a sub 2, I warned him he would have to leave me to get sub 2. I was running blind since no Garmin and forgot to note start time. At 7.5, I had to drop back from my new friend because I had to do my walk/gel/water routine.

Just as I begin running after this brief walk thru the aid station, my dadgum left knee acted like it was going to give out. Dammit. Funny it hurts when I walk but will stop hurting about 15 seconds into running. Odd. I hit mile 10 and decide that I’m going to try to push harder for my 5K. Thankfully I’m run into two guys who are very encouraging and say we were on for a sub 2 pace. I still don’t believe them.

The guys pull ahead of me and I follow them in. We make a turn and I see the finish line – but no clock. I crossed the line and see the clock just past the finish line. OMG, couldn’t believe it. I didn’t think I would ever hit sub 2. Hoped for it and worked hard last fall with intervals and didn't achieve it. Didn't think I would make it this time since my concentration has been training for the 8 hour and time on feet has been my focus. Feels great! Official results haven't been posted yet but clock read 1:59:08 as I crossed.
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing. The 5M, 5M, 5K strategy was more manageable mentally and I think it helped to run blind. Shoot, DH has been telling me to do that anyway. I must also admit that the weather was perfect and that can definitely help.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water, got my medal, ate several orange slices, briefly talked to my new-found race friends (who all made their goals), and then back out for another 4 miles. Met up with some girlfriends and headed back with them. By now, my knee is really bothering me so I tell them to go on and I’ll follow them in. Talk to some of the volunteers and thank them. Then arrive back at finish and get more water and oranges. Stretch out really well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously I've got to find out what is going on with the left knee. The goal was to really tax myself during the race so I could simulate how I would feel in the later hours of the 8-hour race. In some ways it was a successful simulation because I pushed past the discomfort. But it also showed me the speed that I can NOT go in the 8 hour if I want to stay on my feet for 8 hrs.

Event comments:

Small inaugrual with few spectators. Nicely organized.

Last updated: 2012-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Nice scenic loop down the main street, thru the downtown, down to the boat basin, back up the hill, down thru various neighborhoods, around the college, and back to the hospital (sponsor of the event). Flat with only two small hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes