Chicago Cubs Charities
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 28s
Overall Rank = 56/3527
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/240
Pre-race routine:

Extracurricular activities in the morning then a quick pack up and get to the even rush and made it with about 20 minutes to spare. Didn't really eat fuel or hydrate at all for this event. I was going into this race as a tune-up and gauge my progress after taking it really easy since the St. Paddy's weekend 8K.
Event warmup:

Nothing, which was stupid. I usually do a bit of jogging to get the blood flowing to the legs but this time I just literally forgot to do any warm up at all.
Run
  • 19m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I got a 31 second PR which makes me 2 for 2 in PR-ing races this year alone. I'm pretty stoked that I'm gaining these accomplishments and dealing with a crazy home environment and managing my RA. Things have gone way better than I could have ever hoped they would. This race is definitely a favorite just based on location and participation numbers alone. The course was wide enough by seeding myself with the appropriate pace group which was something I didn't really do in prior 5K's so that proved to be a big help not having to weed through the crowd at the start.
What would you do differently?:

I should have really warmed up with some striders and/or a mile jog. Also, a little caffeine boost would have helped amp me up or get me energized for the last half of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really, short race = quick revovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No warm-up, no energy/fuel prior to event.

Last updated: 2012-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/240
Overall: 56/3527
Performance: Good
MILE TIME AVG. PACE AVG. HR 1 5:48 5'48"/mi 154bpm 2 11:59 6'11"/mi 148bpm 3 18:20 6'21"/mi 171bpm The 1st mile was way too fast! My high hammies were not happy and pretty tight. A warm-up would have been really good for this. I felt my pace drop significantly right after passing the 2 mile marker and it turns out I had plenty of energy that I never really tapped into for the remainder of the last half mile before the race finish. I really didn't go into the pain cave on this race and I think it was a learning experience to know that I can push a lot harder and accept the pain in the future.
Course: Giant loop course through West Wrigleyville. Ravenswood was a bit rough and patchy but overall a fast course and free of obstacles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No