General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-20 10:07 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
Subject: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
I am concerned about swimming an Open Water Race without a wetsuit. I have swum without a wetsuit for maybe 1200 yards but with easy access to beach and kayak support but I doubt if they will let us wear wetsuits in an AZ race in Sept. The water temp is likely to be 80 degrees. I plan to practice OWS swims without a wetsuit this summer so I just have to keep increasing my range I guess. I am a weak swimmer but hopefully my Masters swims on Tues and Thursdays will improve me over the summer.

2012-04-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4162623

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread

Yeah, it was too warm at Nathan last year for a wetsuit.  However, the Red Rock tris are so wonderfully organised and volunteered that there will be a ton of kayaks and paddleboards out there to help you out if you ever did have any problems.  In addition, there were a load of small buoys at Nathan last year, more than I've ever seen before at a tri (which helped enormously for sighting and something to hold onto if you need to take a break). 

My gut feeling is that you'll be training like hell with Masters and OWS's over the summer that this will no longer be an issue by September.  Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there, as I'm planning on making Nathan my first Oly tri Laughing

2012-04-20 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

foyth - 2012-04-20 10:07 AM I am concerned about swimming an Open Water Race without a wetsuit. I have swum without a wetsuit for maybe 1200 yards but with easy access to beach and kayak support but I doubt if they will let us wear wetsuits in an AZ race in Sept. The water temp is likely to be 80 degrees. I plan to practice OWS swims without a wetsuit this summer so I just have to keep increasing my range I guess. I am a weak swimmer but hopefully my Masters swims on Tues and Thursdays will improve me over the summer.

Dude - you have like 5 whole months before Nathan's is even a consideration!  Unless AZ goes into a deep freeze, Nathan's will once again be non-wetsuit legal.  If you can do 1200 yds now without a wetsuit, you will be fine come September.  Just remember a few things:

1.  Trust your training (you have 5 months to extend your endurance, even in the pool)

2.  The swim is the shortest and quickest part of a triathlon

3.  Everyone else will be without a wetsuit, so we are all dealing with the same challenges

You will be fine - just build up your swim endurance (even in the pool) over the summer.  Swimming in TTL at 80 degrees is like swimming in a dirty bathtub - there is no cold to bother you.  Plus, there are tons of volunteers (kayaks and boats), so you can always stop and gather yourself mid-swim.  Have confidence!

2012-04-21 12:45 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the motivational words dude! The dirty bathtub comment was inspiring. I will have Soma HIM to look forward to in Oct and that should be wet suit legal. If I do well in Soma then maybe IMAZ, depends how HIM goes in Oct.
2012-04-21 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
I think I am in the minority, but I like swimming in Tempe Town Lake. My first triathlon was Nathan sprint last year and the water was nice and warm. I used a wetsuit last week at the Marquee Oly and the water was still great. @Foyth, just train and you will be fine. I am doing the Nathan Oly this year and am not concerned about the swim...and I am not a good (read fast or great with technique) swimmer, and I have no concern with the likelihood of no wetsuit because I will continue to train to complete it. Be true to your training and trust your training.
2012-04-21 8:42 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
I'm in the minority as well as I like swimming without a wetsuit. Too many issues for me with wetsuits...I feel like I'm choking and too much pressure on my chest. My very first Tri was Nathan's a few years ago and I did it without a wetsuit...and it went fine. That next spring I did SheRox in May with a wetsuit and had a panic attack. Just do your training, swim in some of the local lakes to get used to the 'murkiness' factor, and you will be fine. There is so much support out on the lake during the swim (esp with RedRock events) that there is always help if you need it.
it is quite a ways away, so don't stress about it now. Nathan's is probably my favorite race so you will have a blast! Good luck!

2012-05-24 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ

My first tri (ever) was the Tempe Intl a couple of weeks ago. 

I did not use a wetsuit and the water temp was 76.  After my panic attack and getting through the first 400 yards, I felt perfect and kind of found my groove.

You'll be fine without a wetsuit.  Don't forget, eveybody else will be wetsuitless as well.  Besides, you'll be so far in front, you'll have nothing to worry about.

2012-05-29 5:05 PM

Technically you can wear a wetsuit up to 84deg water temp. If you wear it over 78deg, you forfeit any prizes you may win. My guess is that if you need a wetsuit in the first place, you probably won't be placing in the top 3 in your AG. Read the USAT info below..

4.4 Wetsuits. Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. 

2012-07-06 2:12 PM

User image

New user

I am now again doing Nathan's Olympic, but, this year I will be doing it for charity (Chances for Children).

As I had no races to train for after I did the Marquee Half IM a few months ago it appears that I now need to ramp up the training again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed