General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Sahuarita Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-24 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: The Sahuarita Lake Triathlon

Hi All:

With the race right around the corner I thought I would get us started on a thread.

How many are doing their first tri at this race?

Anyone done this race before - it will be my first time at this event?

This is a back half of a back-to-back weekend for me - I did the Tempe International - Olympic this past weekend at Tempe Town Lake -- The racing season is off and running!  :)

What does everyone else have planned for this season?

- Tim

2006-05-24 12:32 AM
in reply to: #432340

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Subject: RE: The Sahuarita Lake Triathlon
This will be my first tri. I'm a little apprehensive about doing an open water swim for my first race. But I'm sure there won't be any rough water. I've tried a few open water swims with a wetsuit and did not like it. Hopefully I won't need one for this race. The bike course and run course are flat, so I hope to make up time on there, because I know my swim will be the hardest part. If I survive this one, I plan to do the Firecracker Tri on July 4.

Happy training...
2006-05-24 1:28 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

I'll be volunteering on the course.  I did the Tempe Oly last weekend, and have Deuces Wild the weekend after Sahuarita, so I wasn't going to make it 3 in a row.

I volunteered at the event last year too.  Sahuarita lake is tiny.  More like a large pond.  I've heard it isn't deep, so if you get in trouble you can stand on the bottom.  They dye the lake green year-round, so you WILL turn green.  I've heard that sunscreen and bodyglide attract the green, so some folks go without.  I'd rather not get burned or chafed and would probably deal with the green.

I think the green lake is probably the only downside.  The finish is at the park so there's lots of nice green grass, rather than being in the dirt.

2006-05-25 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona

I wasn't planning on doing it since I just did the Tempe Oly last week as well, but I've decided to go ahead and compete in this race after all.  I didn't have my best race last week and I want to get after it and try to get a good experience under my belt.

I think the wife and kiddies will be coming along so that will be fun since they don't usually make it out there with me (too early to start the day for them).  I didn't get the opportunity to meet anyone from BT last week, but maybe I can catch some of you in Sahuarita.

Good luck and have fun!

2006-05-26 1:06 AM

User image

Phoenix, AZ
This isn't my first tri, but I sure am new to it. Unlike those above I can do the swim but the other two parts scare me, and I'll be waving to you as you speed on past me We should all find a way to get together and say Hi while we are there. Good luck to everyone!
2006-05-26 2:40 PM

User image

New user

Missoula, MT

ALas..I will not be able to compete due to significant lack of funds. But, I will be there to cheer everyone on. I will be the guy wearing the University of Montana Tshirt..I'd love to meet you all.

Good luck to all of you !!!

Riley

2006-05-27 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

Unfortunately, I am a scratch for the race.  I have been fighting a wicked flu the last few days and I am still not over it as of today.

I hope everyone has a good race!!  Hopefully we can all get a chance to meet at a future race.

- Tim

2006-05-29 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Hope you all had a great race today!  I know I saw all of you at one point, as I was the gal in the white hat and long sleeved white shirt pulling everyone out of the water at the swim exit.  Then I jumped over and did finish line number tag pulling.  I just wish I knew every AZ BTer so that I could cheer extra loud for you all. 

Looking forward to the race reports! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Sahuarita Lake Triathlon Rss Feed