Multi Sports Fitness, LLC
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /87
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Little later than normal but stayed at the park the night before, forgot breakfast so just went with a small cliffbar and granola bar. Transition racks were prenumbered and <100 participants so no use getting there super early, plus staying 2 miles away made for 0 commute worries.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, then saw Dawgchase putting up the Georgia awning so went over and said Hey. Chatted for a bit, donned the wetsuit, skipped pretty much running or anything, just an awesome casual day. Jumped in the water for a quick 75 yards to fill the wetsuit and get the face use to the temp the waited for the start.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 875 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Waves were small, M39U in wave 1, about 35 guys, M40+ in wave 2, about 40 guys, then Females/Relay in Wave 3. Separated by 3min intervals. So it spread out really quickly, like within 50 yards as the shore line start was plenty wide to be side by side, single line. Full wetsuits are so awesome, bouyant, fast in the water and almost effortless. Without the mass start, I didn't start off in a flat sprint so the HR was under control from the get go, hard but controlled pace. On lap 2, grabbed a pair of feet for the second lap for about half of it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

about a 75 yard run from the shore to transition. This one felt really slow compared to my road tri races. Strip wetsuit - came off really easy in <7 seconds, socks, shoes, helmet, gloves, camelback, really seemed like a lot. Felt like I was moving in slow motion. With the rain, I had a plastic bag covering my stuff, which kept it dry, but that soon faded. As I go running out of T-1, theres Dawgchase yelling hey! Awesome, he crushed his first swim and transition as we left T-1 together.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14.4 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

So came out of T-1 pushing hard, like in a Sprint race, after 2 miles of that, my HR was jacked and I was not in a good place knowing that there was a good amount of time to go so dialed it back which surprisingly helped the handling, comfort and HR. I think that initial burst out of T-1 though helped in some separation from the others. I got passed early on by a few guys, that were flat out hauling. Wow, how it would be awesome to have all 3, the guts to go that fast on the single track, the bike handling skills to match that insanity and the motor. Passing/being passed worked surprisingly cool. Riders would announce their intention from behind, such as "racer back, when you find a safe spot, it's tight and twisty so take your time and be smart". That was cool as it felt like we were aware of not trying to hold eachother up but also being realistic. You made space when you had the chance and yell out, go left now and they would blast by. Pretty simple.
From mile 3-8, pretty much by myself just cruising along enjoying the ride. At mile 10, rip off the Gu packet from the top-tube, take a bite and it was nice and gritty from the mud on it, gotta re-think taping it to the bike (works perfect on the road bike). From mile 8-12, a guy right on my tail so I yell back every minute or so, "tell me when you want to pass", he replies " no worries, just following and learning as this is my first race" - my reply "mine too.... nice learning partner". So at mile 12, a third joins the mix and he proceeds to pass so I let both of them go and keep my effort at a steady pace.
Hit T-2 in decent shape having thoroughly enjoyed that ride, like a roller coaster!
What would you do differently?:

More saddle time on the trails working the handling skills. Handling is my limiter right now, which = time and practice.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T-2 pretty speedy, rack bike, drop helmet, camelback, gloves and shoes, throw on trail shoes (thanks yankz), grab hat/# and truck on out. Fairly efficient.
What would you do differently?:

unsnap camelback coming in to T-2 as one less thing to do, maybe wait to remove gloves, not sure.
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really fresh coming off the bike, which was weird. Picked off one guy about 3 minutes into the run and chatted with him for about 10 seconds about the bike course, he mentioned something about his tank was empty so I carried on. Got to the main road and dropped onto the trail. About halfway through the first loop, the leader, AJ comes storming up behind me, he was flat hauling, I wish him luck as he passes, lapping me and saying the 2nd lap is harder than the first... Then about 3 minutes later, #2 laps me, by this time I am just staring lap #2 and now the # of people on the trail is increasing. That made for a more interesting run, people to chase, be chased, etc. Finish lap 2, climb out, check over my shoulder and say to myself, it's <1 mile to the finish and downhill, if anyone is behind me, they are going to have to suffer to pass me so I push it to the finish. I really like the downhill at the end, what a treat.
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the line and my daughter is handing out finisher medals with Dawgchase's wife. How cool is that,my daughter gives me my medal, I get water/gatorade and then walk up the hill to stretch. Then here comes Dawgchase, cruising down the road to the finish with a huge smile, his First Tri - awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first race without any garmins, HRM or gadgets. Just raced on feel. Which I believe actually helped me go faster and freed my mind to just be, instead of focusing on pace, speed, distance covered, distance to go, etc.

Event comments:

Xterra, my first and this course definately has some challenges but is not super technical or brutal. It was a fun course in a beautiful location, the multi-loop aspect was nice as well to "know" where you were on the course. Hickory Knob State Park is a perfect setup with the 70+ motel rooms run by the park with a golfcourse + campground, it is perfect weekend getaway.
What an awesome experience. Racing in the woods and on the dirt is definately a challenge and hurts but the time just went by so fast and the mind was at ease. The rain at the start kept the temps down too at mid-60's, which is perfect racing weather.
The race director did a good job, the course was well marked and easy to follow, plenty of aid stations and the food after with sandwiches, cookies, smores, fruit, etc hit the spot. This was first year race here so a few bugs to workout but overall, it was a great value, great course and some fast competitors.
Definately a do-again race.

Last updated: 2012-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 875 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/87
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: psuedo Triangle course, about 150 meters to each turn bouy, with a quick water exit, around a bouy on the shore then back in for lap #2. Footing was more clay like than sand like on the shore. Water was perfectly smooth. Each lap was about 400 meters long. Waist deep start
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 14.4 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 loop course, rain stopped about 1 mile into the race but it left a somewhat of a muddy course in certain sections, no real mudbogs but some mud puddles and a couple of slick turns. Tight single track that is moderate in skill level, nothing overly technical except for one short section that I unclipped for as I almost wreck. No climbs lasting longer than 45 seconds. A pre-ride of this course could yield big gains in knowing where to bomb which section vs conservative around corners. The 2nd loop was faster than the first, for that fact.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 05 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: .8 mile run up asphalt campground road to the main road, steady grade the whole way up, then drop into the forest for a 2 loop, 1.7 mile trail run. Narrow single track with a few switchbacks but no real long sustained climbs, however enough to keep the footing uneven and the HR uneven, climb back out after the 2 loops then the long .8 mile downhill to finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: XTERRA Hickory Knob Triathlon

2012-04-24 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4168744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: XTERRA Hickory Knob Triathlon
Nice race! Fun to read about your Xterra experience!
2012-04-24 3:34 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Well done on your 1st xterra!

2012-04-26 6:13 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Nice job, bro!!!!!!

Those waves aren't that small! Still plenty of elbows and knees to avoid!

BTW, mud on a gu just adds to the calories!

Nice race and congrats on the hardware!

And pretty sweet to get your medal from your daughter! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Hickory Knob Triathlon Rss Feed