Threshold Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 57s
Overall Rank = 183/365
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the race site at Almaden Lake at about 6:15AM. Parked my bike and gear in the transition area, and got in line to pick up my race packet.
Event warmup:

Stretched, jogged, and ran a few striders.
Swim
  • 06m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I mentioned in the course description, the swim leg was changed to a 1500M run because of unhealthy bacteria levels in the lake. So the triathlon was actually a duathlon. I was disappointed because I'd spent most of the winter focusing on improving my swimming. But the race organizers made the right call.

I ran at about a 6:30/mile pace for the first 1/2 mile or so, and slowed down to about a 7-minute pace by the end. My legs never really loosened up. In hindsight, that was to be the least of my problems...
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have done more of a warm-up run before the start, especially since the first run was a fast-paced 1500 meters.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

T1 almost ended the race for me. Beforehand, I had scoped out a less-traveled route around the back of the transition area in order to avoid the congestion. Big Mistake. Just before I reached my bike, I awkwardly tripped over a curb and twisted my right ankle (call me "Mr. Smooth"). Somehow, I managed to limp over to my bike, and I made it out of T1 in one piece...

No shortcuts! Always follow those little white chalk arrows completely through the transition area!
Bike
  • 1h 13m 11s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

After nearly snapping my ankle in half in T1, I felt fortunate just to get on my bike and start pedaling. But things quickly took another turn for the worse. After I changed gears for the first time, my rear derailleur suddenly downshifted all the way down to the smallest sprocket... "What the...?!!" I immediately shifted back up again. And it happened again. I tried again - same result. A few miles down the road, I finally stopped, got off my bike, and tried tightening the cable on the derailleur. Same result. Exasperated, I had to hold the rear gear shift lever in place with my right hand for the entire 40K bike ride! My fingers, hand, and forearm were completely numb by the end. The most difficult part was trying to hold low gear in place while going up the hill at Mile 15. I couldn't stand up and get any leverage. Argh. Meanwhile, I lost focus and didn't pace myself well at all. My legs eventually paid the price.

Check and double-check EVERY bolt on my bike on race day! This is the second straight race-day mechanical issue I've had -- very frustrating. Everything worked fine the day before the race. It turns out the bolt on the gear shift lever had mysteriously worked itself loose overnight. The bike gremlins must have been working overtime...
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

No mishaps during T2 -- at least none that I remember. I was mostly worried about how my sprained ankle would hold up during the 10K run.
Run
  • 52m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My race couldn't have gotten much worse at this point, could it? Well, fortunately, my sprained ankle wasn't much of a factor, and I managed to hold onto an 8-minute mile pace for a while. But my quads tightened up at about 2 miles out, and I slowed down a bit. Then, at the halfway turnaround point, I noticed a burning sensation down on my left ankle -- the velcro timing chip strap was chafing! I initially considered swapping the strap over to my right ankle, but that ankle was ALREADY sprained. So I just tried to tough it out -- I didn't think it was that bad. By the time I reached the finish line, I was hurting a bit. It was then that I looked down and saw a thick line of blood trickling into my shoe. Ugh. That was a fitting way to end the day.

I guess I need to wrap some sort of tape around my ankle before I put on the that darned timing chip strap. This is the second straight race in which I've had an issue with chafing.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat down on some steps in the shade and drank two bottles of water and a snow cone. I looked around for some tequilla, but couldn't find any.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm... (see above)

Event comments:

The race itself was fine. The organizers made the right call turning it into a duathlon. But maybe a change in location should be considered in the future(?) Duck poop and triathlons do not mix well.

As for my own performance, I'm just going to write it off as "one of those days." I'm simply happy to have survived to finish the race in one piece...

Last updated: 2012-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:42 | 1640 yards | 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/365
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: The swim leg was cancelled due to unhealthy bacteria levels in the lake (i.e., too much duck poop). Instead, the triathlon became a DUATHLON, and we started out with a 1500-meter run AROUND the lake.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:11 | 24.85 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: One loop course, mostly flat -- except for a pretty stiff mile-long climb at around Mile 15.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:40 | 06.21 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Course: Out and back course on a pavement trail -- slight uphill on the way out.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes