General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenswell Darby "Spring for SIDS" Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greenswell Darby "Spring for SIDS" Duathlon - Long Course - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galloway, Ohio
United States
Greenswell
Total Time = 2h 10m 46s
Overall Rank = 13/36
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Decided to do this race at the last minute because I was going to a brick workout, but decided I should do a race instead. I never did a Duathlon, so this seemed like a good chance to do something early in the season. Unfortunately, I was out a bit late the night before and didn't feel "race ready" first thing in the morning after a few too many glasses of wine.

Anyway coffee and infinit on the 30 minute drive down. Set up my transition area and took my bike for a quick spinm to make sure there were no odd noises or rubbing.
Event warmup:

Quick bike ride and a bit of a jog to get warmed up
Run
  • 13m 45s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice quick run to get things starter. A change of pace from not having to swim. The hills on the running course were pretty intense. Going down was just as bad as coming up. Had a good sub 7 minute pace for the first leg.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Since this was a duathlon, I ran in my bike shoes instead of going barefoot and leaving my shoes on the bike. That slowed me down a bit and was a bit different with getting on the bike. Other than that, without a wetsuit to worry about, it was a quick transition.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 32s
  • 22.4 miles
  • 20.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice bike course. Some nice hills that weren't too steep or too long and one really cool downhill where I maxed out around 39 mph. Only problem is that there is a turn right at the bottom, so you don't get much momentum out of it. I only passed 2 people and was passed by 3. For a while there, I didn't see anyone else out on the course. Makes you think you made a wrong turn. Drank water for first 10 minutes, then mixed in diluted Infinit. Then went to full Infinit and it worked great.

You make a run on US 40 for about a mile or two and you hit a headwind there, but I powered through it with high rate both times. As you're coming down the Darby Rd., the road had these bumps every 10 meters or so which was torture on my lower region as this went on for about 1.5 miles. Other than that, a good bike.

Good bike, I was treating this as a workout and not a race, so it was a good ride.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Clipped out and ran in my bike shoes which is uncommon for me, so it slowed me down a bit. Changed shoes, put on my hat and off I went.
Run
  • 49m 40s
  • 6.25 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing really to note on the run other than the hills. The down hills were crazy as they were killing my knees the up hills were tough cause they were killing my lungs. Every time I would see the creek, it was freighting because you knew that any second, that trail was going to turn uphill away from the creek. On the last 2.5 miles, there were two hills that had me at the top of my HR. Good thing they were back in the woods and flattened out before the last push so you could gain composure right before the finish.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Hardly any warm down. I should have swtreched at least, but wanted to get home so we could head to church.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I treated this like a training workout instead of a race. So where I finished didn't mean anything to me.

Event comments:

A good early season duathlon to get you excited for tri season. I love Greenswell events. This is my 4th (2 tris, to running races). They have great volunteers, a very positive atmosphere, and unique venues in the Columbus area metro parks. Plus, the cotton shirts are incredibly soft and comfy. :)

Last updated: 2012-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:45 | 02 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 12/36
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back 2 mile run with some crazy hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:05:32 | 22.4 miles | 20.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 11/36
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course on decent roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:40 | 06.25 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 13/36
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run with crazy hills. With a bit out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-29 7:10 PM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Greenswell Darby "Spring for SIDS" Duathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenswell Darby "Spring for SIDS" Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed