Rockville, Maryland
United States
Montgomery County Road Runners Club
Total Time = 48m 15s
Overall Rank = 445/1307
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 70/149
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:30. Ate some Raisin Bran, got dressed and drove to my parents house to meet my dad and sister. Drove to the race site with my dad (my sister was sick). It started at a metro station and we were parked on the other side from the start, so it was quite a long walk. Got in one last porta potty visit about 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Stretched and bounced around a little while standing in the starting corrals. It was cold and we waited a bit for the start, so nothing we did really stuck...
Run
  • 48m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

We were a little back from the start of our wave so the first quarter mile was pretty congested. I went out a little too hard in an attempt to get my HR into the right place, but I caught myself early enough that I didn't get myself into too much trouble. I still click off the first mile in 7:20 - toooo fast.

I set my HR at the low end of Z4 through the second and third miles. The course is net downhill, but has a number of uphills along the way, some quite steep. I did my best to manage my effort through those and recover a little at the top of the downhills.

Mile 4 and 5 were the slowest as I realized I'd probably pushed too hard at the beginning, so I let myself sag a little through the latter part of the race. I was trying to find someone to follow, but the crowds made everyone's pace a little inconsistent. The course wasn't too crowded, but enough that people had to pick some funny lines to move around.

Mile six I started moving a little faster and let my HR creep into the top of Z4. Mile six had a long but not very steep uphill before dropping to the finish just after the mile marker. I was reasonably comfortable at that pace, so for the last couple of miles I went all out on the final down hill and .2 miles. According to the Garmin I averaged just under 6 mins a mile for the final .2.
What would you do differently?:

A more consistent effort may have netted my a little faster time, I probably had too much left at the finish. Nothing drastic short of more training though.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around the finishing shoot and waited for my dad. After that we walked around the expo, I picked up another

Event comments:

Good race, well organized and volunteers everywhere. Very positive experience.

Last updated: 2012-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:15 | 06.21 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/149
Overall: 0/1307
Performance: Good
Course: Along Redland road for 1/4 mile LT onto the northbound side of Rockille Pike, keep going for 6 miles.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-30 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: Pikes Peak 10k

2012-04-30 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4180396

User image

Subject: RE: Pikes Peak 10k
Rockville Metro Station and the Pike!! I'd forgotten you lived in that area so I loved reading this. I wasn't active when we lived there so I missed out on all the fun stuff.

Wow- even with the crowds you set a great PR, John! I'm very impressed. Congratulations!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak 10k Rss Feed